Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

admissions question! HELP!

10 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I think also it is something that your local authority LA support team should be helping you with. As others have said, if staff are not treated appropriately then you should be able to reserve the right not to offer the service (as pubs and shops do). However, you need to be careful that you are not perceived to be discriminating against the child because of how the parents have been with you previously, I think you are wise to take legal advice regarding this. Statutory requirements state that the setting and parents must work together and if you feel you are not able to do that then you would be in breach of the contract you make with the parents to provide the service and that is another point to discuss from a legal basis. I might be wary of saying you are full - if that is shown to be untrue then you might have created a problem for yourself. If you tell the truth and say you feel unable to meet the conditions of the contract which would be in place then you might be able to refuse, from a basis of fact. I would definitely speak to Ofsted and keep them informed as you go along. I would also, whatever the outcome, send Ofsted a copy of your notes and conclusions when you have worked out what you are going to do - I would also cross-reference that against the previous complaint so that Ofsted see them as connected. 

Good luck, let us know how you get on

that all sounds FAR too sensible:D

LEA have been contacted

bit wary of talking to Ofsted until i have more 'info' ...he can't complain about admissions really?? 

13 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

that all sounds FAR too sensible:D

LEA have been contacted

bit wary of talking to Ofsted until i have more 'info' ...he can't complain about admissions really?? 

I'd rather talk to Ofsted now and have them wonder why I've sent them stuff relating to a resolved issue than have them wonder why I hadn't kept them informed that a previous complaint had reared it's head again.

2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I'd rather talk to Ofsted now and have them wonder why I've sent them stuff relating to a resolved issue than have them wonder why I hadn't kept them informed that a previous complaint had reared it's head again.

well of course it's not a previous complaint ...that's been dealt with! (and some!!) it the ability to refuse an application that's the issue. The problem i find with Ofsted at the moment is that they just quote back their 'paperwork' there would be nothing in there to suggest that they deal with issues regarding admissions to me knowledge?

9 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

well of course it's not a previous complaint ...that's been dealt with! (and some!!) it the ability to refuse an application that's the issue. The problem i find with Ofsted at the moment is that they just quote back their 'paperwork' there would be nothing in there to suggest that they deal with issues regarding admissions to me knowledge?

I understand what you are saying - but if you refuse the place (and I agree that you should be able to) and the parent does 'kick up a stink' you will have covered yourself by documenting everything. You could just keep all the documented points and if there was a problem refer back to it. Ofsted don't deal with issues to do with admissions, but they do deal with issues surrounding inclusion, and if dad chose to be really difficult he might go down this route.

• Like 1

Just now, Rebecca said:

, but they do deal with issues surrounding inclusion, and if dad chose to be really difficult he might go down this route.

With over 50% of our children with EAL and over 12 languages spoken ,,,Including his own culture/religion and language this might make it difficult to stick this  on me!!:D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ok a bit of an update ! having spoken to the lawyers we (as a private business) have no obligation to offer a place for this family. The LEA has an obligation to find them a space but it doesn't need to be with us!

I have contacted the LEA who are very aware of the situation and are keeping an eye on it

The trustees all know and are ready to back us!

The letter went to the family at the end of the week ...returning his admin deposit and giving them information on other settings!

Suspect i may have a visit from him today>:(

• Thanks 1

slightly weird but it's all gone very quiet (famous last words!) he smiled at me the other day at school (very odd!) maybe it is his wife who's making him do this and he's grateful he doesn't need to deal with me anymore! ????!!!!

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

slightly weird but it's all gone very quiet (famous last words!) he smiled at me the other day at school (very odd!) maybe it is his wife who's making him do this and he's grateful he doesn't need to deal with me anymore! ????!!!!

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1