Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

manager resigning from commitee

diesel10

Hi all

i am the manager of a preschool / nominated person / on committee. I have asked to resign from my role on the committee as if i object to any of their decisions they leave me feeling excluded from the team.  The chairperson has said that i can't resign as they need me to be nominated person.  Does anyone have any experience of this.  Can they make me continue in my voluntary role alongside my paid role?

I believe that you can now be the nominated person if the registered body requests it (i may be wrong but thought this had been sorted!) Of course you should be able to resign from a voluntary position...how would any of the committee do this..do they have to give notice or serve for a set period of time?

Doesn't sound like a very happy place to be at the moment:(

What would resigning give you? For me I'd still have to attend meetings it's only the voting rights I wouldn't get, so if the same for you wouldn't you still be treated like this? Could it be tackled in a different way as it could cause the rift to be bigger and if like me you would still have to attend the meetings and have the negative treatment your currently getting. 

Have you any other options you have thought about in meeting this head on 

Hi

At the moment i am taking all the responsibility by being nominated person / named on the charity commission website but not being included in decisions.  I thought if I resigned I could just get on with my job and not get involved with committee business.  Not ideal but i can't work with them.  I would still attend meetings but just as supervisor.  (and claim overtime)

After speaking to the chairperson I'm hoping things will improve.  Although due to them contacting the council for advice without telling me they have triggered a full unannounced audit visit.   Looking forward to that.   

• Like 1

Right I have to admit straightaway that I have never worked in a committee setting.

However  I would have thought as you are everything else manager/nominated person/ named CC person- the committee would be there to support your decisions?    Not them making all the decisions, and telling you-  but then maybe I have the complete wrong end of the stick?

I worked in a college nursery which in hindsight may have been a committee type thing, but I just did a report about what was happening and what support I needed, training resources required etc,  then finance man did the same then the Chairman just ok'd it all.

• Like 1

It is a very strange way to work.  As they are volunteers they can basically do what they like (or think they can).  They don't read anything and then just make up their own minds with out considering EYFS, policies.  The have no idea about confidentiality. 

In hindsight I don't think the majority realised that I was actually on the committee and probably thought I just attended meetings as supervisor. 

2 hours ago, diesel10 said:

It is a very strange way to work.  As they are volunteers they can basically do what they like (or think they can).  They don't read anything and then just make up their own minds with out considering EYFS, policies.  The have no idea about confidentiality. 

In hindsight I don't think the majority realised that I was actually on the committee and probably thought I just attended meetings as supervisor. 

I'm not sure I could work like that O.o

Can they not be given 'job descriptions' and made to sigh ? Clear guidelines of what expected of them? To late for current committee members but maybe the next lot?

Arh right I see, sounds like they may have too much decision making ignore me if I'm wrong. The job of the committee is to oversee, question and challenge the setting (manager) in a positive way also being in the knowledge that the manager acts under all guidance and policies.

my lot make very little decisions as I do day to day, I report to them an overview only on things that have occurred over the month (we meet monthly) I need permission to spend over £100 on an item, and I need them to vote on big changes, other than that I do a reflective report. 

They are (usually) not qualified to make the decisions but need to aware of how you follow policies and uphold legislation, the pla overview of a committee member is good, I also get them to sign a mini like contract which I drew up which goes through open and transparent communications and confidentiality. 

Hope it gets better for you 

• Like 1

Thank you.  

yes, contracts / code of conduct / job descriptions would help.  Its just getting the time to do everything.  

I'm not sure we are making any process at the moment though as they seem to not being doing anything now they have been 'told off' even though the email from the chairperson was very positive. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)