Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's addresses

I am using the FSF's fabulous GDPR excel stored data sheet and this has thrown up the question as to why we collect the child's address. They say they don't know why the addresses are collected as it's not a statutory requirement. So, can anybody let me know why we do it. We obviously collect the parent's address (which technically should be the same for the child) to enable letters, invoices etc to be posted out to them but why do we have space on all the registration forms for the child's address?  

Well I intend to put the address under the parent's part of the spreadsheet, rather than the children's part, as it is a statutory requirement to have parent(s)/Carer(s) address.   For the children we need only know with whom they reside and have legal contact with.

• Like 1

Welcome spreenpreschool and good work, you’ve clearly made better use of your snow days than me ...you do know sharing is caring don’t you :P

Our funding forms, both parent agreement and when adding children to the funding portal asks for the address under ‘child details’ which I suppose means we are storing the child’s address even if we don’t directly ask for it? 

Edited by Mouseketeer

11 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Welcome spreenpreschool and good work, you’ve clearly made better use of your snow days than me ...you do know sharing is caring don’t you :P

Our funding forms, both parent agreement and when adding children to the funding portal asks for the address under ‘child details’ which I suppose means we are storing the child’s address even if we don’t directly ask for it? 

Yes Mousie,  as I began pondering this one (as you do) I have added a section on  my sheet for the children's tab, which all relates to the info we process for LA.   I am not a proficient in spreadsheets, and can't make a column give double line spacing, so my columns were getting ever more wide with the amount of information I was putting.   There must be a way - better talk to one of my children, he uses spreadsheets all the time, and I can predict right now the look on his face when I doxD

• Like 2

Me neither, I loathe them, and never get how you know what’s going to be on the paper when printed, I’m a great fan of ‘draw table’ 😂 Rebecca has a spread sheet going already in one of the GDPR posts (1 ?), I think I may nab/adapt that one and pass it off as all my own work:D

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Me neither, I loathe them, and never get how you know what’s going to be on the paper when printed, I’m a great fan of ‘draw table’ 😂 Rebecca has a spread sheet going already in one of the GDPR posts (1 ?), I think I may nab/adapt that one and pass it off as all my own work:D

when i printed Rebeccas spreadsheet, it came out on about 8 sheets! so need a way to get it on one sheet but fear it will need to be v small print.   I'm a fan of draw a table.

• Like 1

I am using Rebecca's spreadsheet as it meant I didn't have to make my own!! I can just about manage to get columns to add up and keep thinking I would love to do an excel course as I'm sure it can do some weird and wonderful things but, unfortunately, don't seem to have the time.

I did also see a post on a Facebook group that I'm on that has given me some more work to do next week. Namely the GDPR policy for Bucks LA where the funding forms go to, the payroll companies GDPR and Tapestry's GDPR policy(unless someone can point me to it so I don't have to search :D).  I suppose I also need to include Dropbox in that as we store things on their cloud. Best delete all the stuff that I had saved on Google docs when Dropbox got full and I had to put it somewhere. Glad I started it now as I can chip away at it before the deadline and didn't leave it till the Easter holidays when all I'll want to do is roll eggs and eat hot cross buns.............:)

• Like 2

You can find the documents ‘Keep your data secure’ and ‘privacy policy’ by going to your control panel on Tapestry, think it’s something like important information.

I use onedrive and hadn’t even thought about that :-/ 

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yeladenu said:

thank you so much! Read through your stuff, PLA info, Nursery World info and really no better off! Need an idiot's guide to what and how we need to change things, in the simplest way possible!! 

The audit is a really good place to start - it focuses your mind on what is important and you will find that a 'to do' list naturally comes out of it! 

On 3/6/2018 at 12:51, Yeladenu said:

thank you so much! Read through your stuff, PLA info, Nursery World info and really no better off! Need an idiot's guide to what and how we need to change things, in the simplest way possible!! 

I'm with you. As a community Nursery this seems rather immense....ploughing is the operative word! Now I know how I should have spent my snow day!

I think it's important to have children's address, and the address of other people important to the child, in case we suspected a safeguarding issue.   It might be important in the future to know where a child was living at a certain date.  Write it down, keep it safe.  Destroy it when the child reaches 21 and a day.  

Honey

2 hours ago, HoneyPancakes said:

Destroy it when the child reaches 21 and a day.  

Why do we have to keep it this long when schools (I believe) only keep it for 6 yrs after child leaves then it is archived, where is it archived? Why can’t ours go there to? Where do they(whoever they is) think we are supposed to keep it all? Does anyone know the answers? 

3 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Why do we have to keep it this long when schools (I believe) only keep it for 6 yrs after child leaves then it is archived, where is it archived? Why can’t ours go there to? Where do they(whoever they is) think we are supposed to keep it all? Does anyone know the answers? 

To my mind 'archived' means 'in the loft' or storage, just in case.  Maybe I watch too much film noir and police drama, but I think it must be important evidence of something,.  You're right though, I'm struggling to think of exact real-life situations but I'm sure it would be crucial  in solving a terrible case of missing children or abuse in the future.  

i understood it to be that you have to keep docs till 3 years after a child reaches legal age (ie 18) as that is the age they can come back with any complaints etc. So 21 is 3 years after. Does that make sense?!

• 2 months later...

I only keep these records for three years after the child has left, they then go into the burner.

i was told that if you keep them for longer you are probably in breach of data protection!

i go by the PLA’s table of documentation retention periods.

11 hours ago, FARM said:

I only keep these records for three years after the child has left, they then go into the burner.

Hi Farm ..have you checked this recently? The PSLA appear to be giving out a  much longer period of retention at the moment? (and safeguarding and send information has to be retained for a longer period)

Of course there is no 'legal' definition it just says for a reasonable period!

At the end of every year we strip out the filing cabinet and remove all the details for children who have left. We keep enrolment forms, accident forms and medication forms and anything pertaining to safeguarding - everything else is shredded. We then make a 'bundle of papers' and mark them 'Leavers 2018' (for example) and then store them securely. We add staff records as they leave to the same bundle so that it's easy to find. Now that some records are on Tapestry e.g accident forms we will download these to a small memory USB and keep them all together. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)