Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should we close with no water?

hopeytg

Today we opened and the pipes were frozen so we had no water - we maintained supplies from the neighbouring hall and kept the toilets filled and used anti bac for hand washing - I brought all the washing up home from lunches.  I informed parents and bless them they brought us water and biscuits!! But on checking when I got home I don't think I should have stayed open and don't know what to do tomorrow - there is now way the pipes are going to defrost as we are still at -4 and due to get the bad snow tonight.  I don't like to close but equally don't want to get into bother with Ofsted if we should have closed.

Oh goodness hopey I do feel for you - no idea what the 'official line' is on that, sounds like you have covered everything as well as you could - perhaps contact Ofsted and ask the question.......

Sorry I haven't been much help really - think perhaps you should join the ever growing gang of us that are playing hooky:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Personally, I think you should close tomorrow. Today was 'unexpected' and you made the very best of the situation you found yourself in. Now that you know, it's not 'unexpected' and you should plan accordingly. :)

I knew somebody sensible would come along!:)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hopeytg said:

I'm hoping the snow comes down hard so the decision is easy - tried to get my husband to see if we could defrost but it's too flipping cold to be exploring underneath a mobile classroom :) 

We had a similar situation several years ago.  We closed as we didn't feel that we could provide a safe, as in terms of hygiene,  environment for children or staff.  We actually ended up being closed for 10 days.  Our mains water was insulated but because it was so cold it froze just between the cabin and the ground then into the ground.  The problem was that once everywhere started to warm up, our pipe was kept frozen due to the insulation.

we have just been up and under the building trying to thaw things out but failed - problem is we don't know where it's frozen, I am hoping it is not under the carpark as I cannot afford a big bill to sort it out. -4 here at the moment and heavy snow so I'm closing - hate it and will not doubt get slated for doing so but got to be realistic.

23 minutes ago, hopeytg said:

we have just been up and under the building trying to thaw things out but failed - problem is we don't know where it's frozen, I am hoping it is not under the carpark as I cannot afford a big bill to sort it out. -4 here at the moment and heavy snow so I'm closing - hate it and will not doubt get slated for doing so but got to be realistic.

I'm sure you have made the right call there .........and may i officially welcome you to the 'hooky gang' :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopeytg said:

Our parents were incredibly understanding about it. That said we are sessional preschool with only a few parents that actually depend on us for childcare as such.

Decision made and emails, texts, facebook etc done - so far nothing but support but I know there will be a few who won't be happy - all local schools are closed and I can honestly say I have done everything I can 

Sunnyday I am honoured but I don't work Fridays so I am not even getting an extra day off - might work on my TDL but there again I might not :D

Edited by hopeytg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1