Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Data Protection

Motherclanger

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me please?

I have been going through all the preschools policies and documents, and I can not find anything relating to data protection.

There is no fair processing notice or permission in storing information. Well, except for on registration etc.

Could someone please tell me what their setting has in place, so I can rectify the situation we are in.

We are a charity run preschool.

Many thanks

Hi Motherclanger

We have an ‘Information storage - data protection’ policy which is about to be reviewed to reflect GDPR changes (see Rebecca’s thread in here), our county also provides a Fair Processing Notice which I include in the prospectus. I can share our policy with you tomorrow if it helps to start you off.

1 hour ago, Cait said:

Thanks Cait that's a really useful starting point. :)

I've also been having a massive paperwork clear out, and have come across some old info from the ICO (we have always been registered, but I never dealt with the paperwork) having had a quick flick through and a lot of it seems to link with, and be relevant to what we need to do for the GDP compliance. 

18 hours ago, louby loo said:

Thanks Cait that's a really useful starting point. :)

I've also been having a massive paperwork clear out, and have come across some old info from the ICO (we have always been registered, but I never dealt with the paperwork) having had a quick flick through and a lot of it seems to link with, and be relevant to what we need to do for the GDP compliance. 

Make sure you go through the 12 steps though as, although similar, the GDPR requirement is much more robust that requirements under the ICO ever were :)

• 1 month later...

I looked into this last year, prompted by our Ofsted inspector who suggested we should be registered.  Turned out we didn't need to be, something to do with being a charity and also not having more than 5 staff, I think.   Is it the same for GDPR or am I being too hopeful?  The course our LA have put on is not until the end of April .....

Be careful! your LEA will probably expect you to be registered ...it may be a condition of funding especially if they collect information from you or pay you electronically . If you keep any information online (including payroll) then i would suggest you register. and for GDPR rules (from what ive read) you will need to comply even if you are not ICO registered. We are a NFP charity with small staff numbers!!!

This comes up a lot..

The ICO FAQs section says: 

We are a not-for-profit organisation - do I need to register?

• You do not have to register if organisation was established for not-for-profit making purposes and does not make a profit or if your organisation makes a profit for its own purposes, as long as the profit is not used to enrich others. You must:
  • only process information necessary to establish or maintain membership or support; 
  • only process information necessary to provide or administer activities for people who are members of the organisation or have regular contact with it; 
  • only share the information with people and organisations necessary to carry out the organisation’s activities. Important - if individuals give you permission to share their information, this is OK (you can still answer ‘yes’); and
  • only keep the information while the individual is a member or supporter or as long as necessary for member/supporter administration

I think if you are sharing information electronically, eg to your LA for funding you will definitely need to be registered. You could do the checker here

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)