Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mental health

Hello there,

i am new to posting so hope so I hope I'm in the right place.

i would appreciate any comments and advice.

we are a preschool term time, and have a funded child who started with us this term.

the attendance of the child is very poor 5 sessions to date( we are all 

ways notified of the absence  illness, sisters birthday, mothers medical appointments etc)

my concern is we are claiming funding for a child who is not attending, we had the mother in for a meeting re all of this and she has announced that she suffers from a list of mental health issues, and one of which is aggrahphobia.

has anyone had this issue and what was the answer from the local authority regarding the continued absence and funding the child?

i hope this makes sense it's been along day! 

Many thanks 

oldbear 

Is there anyone else that lives nearby that she could travel with. Have you alerted her health visitor. Regarding funding how many sessions is she supposed to attend if its everyday maybe reduce the number of days. Maybe contact your funding team and explain the situation hopefully they will work with you. I had this situation with a CP family and the funding team were very forgiving and patient. The child now attention regularly. If you give them a plan they may be ok with it.

I think the funding question is one for your LA ...unfortunately each council has their own rules about this . DO you know if there is a social worker assigned to this family? if so I would ask Mum if you could contact them and arrange a meeting. They may be able to organise transport to your setting so allowing Mum a break from the stress of getting them there. Even if the social worker is assigned to Mum only it may well be worth having a chat. We have people to places buses with support workers who do this kind of thing. Other charities in your local area may be able to help too. It may be that this is a family that needs a CAF put in place in order to ensure Mum and child are being looked after

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum oldbear (incidentally one of my favourite Jane Hissey books!) and well done on making your first post :)

I agree with what the other posters have said - you need to speak to your local authority regarding the funding. Also, if there isn't a social worker involved with this family I would be thinking "What are my concerns about this child?" "What would my concerns be if I didn't know mum has mental health issues?" I'd be making an 'intital contact' call to your local authority safeguarding team and discuss it with them. From a safeguarding point of view, this child needs to be 'on the radar' and from what you have said if they are not already, the family need a little support. Good luck!

I'm going to move this post into a different forum area so that more people comment!

On 17 November 2017 at 17:05, oldbear said:

Hello there,

i am new to posting so hope so I hope I'm in the right place.

i would appreciate any comments and advice.

we are a preschool term time, and have a funded child who started with us this term.

the attendance of the child is very poor 5 sessions to date( we are all 

ways notified of the absence  illness, sisters birthday, mothers medical appointments etc)

my concern is we are claiming funding for a child who is not attending, we had the mother in for a meeting re all of this and she has announced that she suffers from a list of mental health issues, and one of which is aggrahphobia.

has anyone had this issue and what was the answer from the local authority regarding the continued absence and funding the child?

i hope this makes sense it's been along day! 

Many thanks 

oldbear 

Thank you all for the comments, confirmed what I was already thinking.

i am waiting for a reply from our LA and have put our safeguarding procedures into place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1