Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ring games/PE activities

We really need to learn some new games to play.  Ones we play already are:  Duck, duck goose, princess long ago, bug in a rug, farmer in the den, ring a roses, Hokey Cokey.  Does anyone have any more that we can add to our list? Also any ideas for PE sessions, again we seem to do the same things all the time. Look forward to hearing your ideas?

In and out of the dusty bluebells,  oranges and lemons.   Been here before, I think, but we do Persil Funfit from years ago, which is  a series of co-ordination, balance techniques etc.we do obstacle courses, we use Sticky Kids.   I think BBC schools also have some programmes on the radio which you might look up.

whats the time Mr wolf and grandmas footsteps. Squeak piggy squeak, hide and seek, sardines, here's a little sandy girl, piggy in the middle (or a re-named version of same!!) treasure hunts, hunt the thimble (or other item!!) musical statues/musical bumps/musical chairs

we also have a game that we play at the OOSC which we call Lava..the children have to run around when we shout lava they have to find something to stand on that is off the ground..if they don't find it they're out.

All a bit classic...sure you've tried them but worth a reminder just in case!xD

We recently tried this one, Hop, Bunny, Hop.  Children hop around the hall and when adult shouts "danger" the children must stand still.  When you shout "danger gone" they begin hopping again.   Different shouts  for danger such as, Dragon coming, pirate coming, hawk coming dog coming.     Alternative actions, shout    rain's coming they stand still with their hands on their heads.   Moon's up, they lay on the ground and pretend to sleep, or dinner time, they crouch down and pretend to nibble grass.

A couple of ideas.. a previous thread and a site for the bean game.. ( taking me a while to get used to this new format- searching for old posts took me ages- there are probably lots of ideas in there if you can search for them)

http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/warm-up-ideas/beans-activity

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/47806-pe-ideas/

Edited by Inge

On 24/10/2017 at 10:42, finleysmaid said:

whats the time Mr wolf and grandmas footsteps. Squeak piggy squeak, hide and seek, sardines, here's a little sandy girl, piggy in the middle (or a re-named version of same!!) treasure hunts, hunt the thimble (or other item!!) musical statues/musical bumps/musical chairs

we also have a game that we play at the OOSC which we call Lava..the children have to run around when we shout lava they have to find something to stand on that is off the ground..if they don't find it they're out.

All a bit classic...sure you've tried them but worth a reminder just in case!xD

Please can you explain how to play squeak piggy squeak, sardines and piggy in the middle??

I'll leave squeak piggy squeak etc. to Finleysmaid.  But how do you play bug in a rug?

We play a game where one of the children is hidden under a sheet while one other child is sent out of the room.  The rest of the children are sworn to secrecy (ha ha)  and the child sent out is invited back in to guess who it is that has been hidden.   Amazing how long they are happy to play this but is a good way to keep them fairly calm or calm them down after a more vigorous morning.

On 26/10/2017 at 09:22, Panders said:

I'll leave squeak piggy squeak etc. to Finleysmaid.  But how do you play bug in a rug?

We play a game where one of the children is hidden under a sheet while one other child is sent out of the room.  The rest of the children are sworn to secrecy (ha ha)  and the child sent out is invited back in to guess who it is that has been hidden.   Amazing how long they are happy to play this but is a good way to keep them fairly calm or calm them down after a more vigorous morning.

What you just described is bug in the rug, when the child returns to guess who is hiding we say “bug, bug, bug in the rug, who is the bug in the rug? With a questioning intonation in our voices.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zigzag said:

What you just described is bug in the rug, when the child returns to guess who is hiding we say “bug, bug, bug in the rug, who is the bug in the rug? With a questioning intonation in our voices.

loving the rhyme, never ever heard it before - maybe it's a regional thing

As Finleysmaid hasn't been along with the rules to her games these are ours!

Squeak piggy squeak

Child is blind folded and sitting down.

Another child is the piggy and makes a squeaking sound

blind folded child has to guess who it is squeaking.

(years ago they would have sat upon the others lap and may have been tickled to make them squeak)

Sardines

Little bit like hide and seek, a child goes off to hide, and once one has found the hider they stay with them and squash into the same space as the original hider - as these two are found by another, they squash into the same space as well, hence the term sardines, you just see how many can be hidden in the same small space before all are there.

Piggy in the Middle

3 children one in the middle the outside pair throw a ball to each other and the one in the middle tries to catch it, if they do, they become one of the outside pair and the one who didn't catch the ball becomes the pig.

Edited by Panders

Thanks Panders....really sorry was going to catch up and then ...urmmmhhhh wellllll I think I might have forgotten:bananas:rules are as you say though we have done lots of versions!! piggy in the middle we do as a group though so no-one gets left out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)