Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Work experience student

Hi everybody

We have a work experience student from a local school coming soon. What sort of things do

the preschool have to put in place?

Not heard anything from the school yet and it's been a long time since we have had a student at the setting.

Motherclanger

We've had a student from school this year, very good with the children and taking on as an apprentice next year, as above I did an induction, gave the policies relating to staff, I also gave them a younger member of the team as a mentor,the thing I found difficult was getting a definite answer regarding whether a dbs was needed, the school was adamant the student didn't need one, framework says over 16yrs with regular contact (once a week seemed regular to me - even though student isn't left alone or does nappy changing etc) we did a volunteer dbs anyway, student and parent happy to do this (will do again as staff before sept)

We don't have dbs for work experience students from high school but do insist for students coming in from college who are doing childcare or social care placements. We carry out induction with big emphasis on confidentiality.

• Like 1

I would also do a risk assessment for young persons in the workplace. Also, ask the student what they need to complete for the school e.g. time sheets, booklets to complete etc. Some young people aren't very good at asking for help in this.

I would also do a risk assessment for young persons in the workplace. Also, ask the student what they need to complete for the school e.g. time sheets, booklets to complete etc. Some young people aren't very good at asking for help in this.

Yes fairygarden, we did a young persons risk assessment, think a template was provided by the college. You also have to be aware of their working conditions ie they must have longer lunch breaks.

we take work experience students. They don't need a dbs check as long as they have no 'free' access to the children. The school should vouch for them. The school should check your insurance (and you may need to check it covers students) We give them an induction which includes H and S and policies etc. If under 18 they also have a risk assessment which covers use of knives and dangerous equipment. We take info from them like name address dob phone number medical details etc (and ask about send needs)

You do not need to pay them ...nor do they have work rights!

This from acas......

Work experience generally is someone who spends a limited time with an employer to learn directly about work and the working environment, although some tasks may be performed it is more an opportunity to watch and learn, and often aimed at students of compulsory school age.

As work experience students are often of compulsory school age they would not be entitled to the National Minimum Wage or have employment rights as a worker.

You may also want to consider a code of conduct (no swearing/using phones/chewing gum etc!!!)

On the whole we find it is a positive experience but we have had some issues too!!