Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning and Ofsted

Just wondering how much or how little planning everyone currently does? I am still on my search for the holy grail of planning formats, have tried sooooo many over the years. Anybody who has recently had an Ofsted, I would be interested to hear if they took any notice of the planning at all? Please can you share with me what you are all doing.

Anybody who has recently had an Ofsted, I would be interested to hear if they took any notice of the planning at all?

And there lies the problem! :huh:

If Ofsted were actually consistent in their reporting we could all get together and sort it once and for all. :angry: :angry:

We were lucky (about a year ago) that our inspector loved our 'lacking in paperwork' planning. Very simple weekly A4 set up sheet - which we just added any resources we wanted out along with the child's initials. She liked that fact all staff 'knew' all the children's individual needs even more.

That said the chances are a different group in the same area with a different inspector could end up with a totally different outcome even if they used the exact same system as us! Sooooooooooooo Frustrating :huh: :angry: :angry:

• Like 2

And there lies the problem! :huh:

If Ofsted were actually consistent in their reporting we could all get together and sort it once and for all. :angry: :angry:

We were lucky (about a year ago) that our inspector loved our 'lacking in paperwork' planning. Very simple weekly A4 set up sheet - which we just added any resources we wanted out along with the child's initials. She liked that fact all staff 'knew' all the children's individual needs even more.

That said the chances are a different group in the same area with a different inspector could end up with a totally different outcome even if they used the exact same system as us! Sooooooooooooo Frustrating :huh: :angry: :angry:

I totally agree with you. It is so very frustrating. Over the years I have had so many different formats and gone from completing 3 forms a week to pretty much nothing which is what we are doing at the moment. I just want something that is a working document that can reflect the changes that we all make over a week and is not going to be just another time wasting piece of paperwork!

• Like 1

For the week ahead, we have an A3 sheet, it's headed up with the different areas, and down the side days of the week. I have the children's initials printed along the top in their Key Person groups and as activity/ies are planned their initials get crossed off. At the bottom of the sheet I have an area for the adult focus which is ongoing 9 usually behaviour!) and an area for any major changes which should be put on the SEF. We meet every Monday when the session is over I say for half an hour, but sometimes, they do chatter on and so it's more like three quarters.

Each half term we re-visit our long term next steps for the term and see how the children have progressed and either tweek or set new targets.

I also keep a notebook in which I record what the adults will be doing, ie. stories, PE etc. those things which definitely require adult input, I keep lots of things in the notebook - which is a bit of a bullet journal, my ideas, what needs to be done on the calendar - that type of thing, a check list of what I need to do daily/weekly to keep on top.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Panders - that is more or less exactly what we do .... only I have got mine down to A4 for printing reasons ( used to be A3 but two A4s stuck together !! :lol: )

I like the idea of the 'notebook' though. I tend to do it on scraps of paper then transfer to where relevant - but I can see a notebook as a good bit of evidence of on-going progress etc to lob at Ofsted when they come.

We too used to have a quick half hour each week - but we've had to cut that due to finance's (but that's a whole other story)

We have moved to In The Moment Planning - resulting in no planning sheets - it has been so liberating - staff are far more relaxed and spending a lot more time involved with the children - observations have increased dramatically and the change in the children is fantastic - one little boy who never engaged in anything has developed a whole new personality. It is a scary step and we are taking things one step at a time but so far so good. We record what has happened during the day in a diary so we have a record for all staff and Ofsted. We have not had an inspection since changing but I know other settings who work this way have been given Outstanding. The Nursery Year in Action is brilliant and so inspiring.

• Like 1

We are very similar to hopeytg and don't use planning sheets anymore we have a scrap book which we add to throughout the day/week and we have focus children activities which we work on all week or longer if needed we have been inspected using this format and the inspector really liked it and was excited to see us moving away from planning in advance it was all a very positive experience

• Like 2

Ours is sort of In 'In the moment planning' really. The only things that get added to the planning sheet are resources to be available for the child's next session. We are a pack-away although we have lots of resources on moveable units we often add to these for our cupboard.

All staff add to sheet during the week as they observe key-children's needs/interests , it's never filled in at one sitting.

When we have our meetings we just go through the list of all our children and discuss each one briefly as a whole team. We may then think of a few adult led activities but not always every week. We tend to adult led 'in the moment' to now.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)