Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

what is the point of the update service?

blondie

I have a dbs (obtained Oct 2015) which is registered with the update service - however when i applied to do some voluntary work and I explained this i was told

"we would do our own bs check anyway"

so what is the point of this update service when nobody uses it?

just seems so pointless to me :/

I think that's misunderstanding on the point of the establishment. Ofsted use the DBS update service to check the ongoing suitability of registered people, nominated people and also inspectors - so why would schools want/need this to be any different?- perhaps this would be a good 'Ofsted myth buster' topic to raise in the New Year - I will add it to my list!

CRBs 'belonged' to the establishment - hence the need for several different ones - DBSs 'belong' to the individual and so, with updates in place that can be regularly and thoroughly checked are as valid on checking as they were when they were obtained. Establishments still need to have their own checks in place obviously as the DBS is only part of the picture of a person's suitability.

• Like 7

I was most recently told by Capita that a DBS obtained for employment could be used elsewhere as a volunteer, but not the other way round.

So a question for all you committee/ trustee run settings, many of my new committee members already have a DBS obtained via the Local Authority within the Education Department. They were not advised at the time of completition to sign up for any update service.

Thoughts please.

Not sure - is this information that is asked for on the ofsted dbs application form. Must admit that I haven't seen the paperwork that the committee members have to complete. We do not have any Internet access. They just come in really stressed and annoyed about the whole thing. I always tell them they have to re apply to join the committee then pass the buck onto ofsted. It does seem to be taking a while to go through at the moment. I am still waiting for two who have sent EY2.

. It does seem to be taking a while to go through at the moment. I am still waiting for two who have sent EY2.

If you ask them to check history on gateway it will give you a better understanding of where it's at in the process (if you haven't already).

If there are any issues stopping it going through for example a box missed or companies house doesn't match etc then they send it back usually through the online gateway not by phone call - this makes it even more of a difficult process but I have found they don't call and the message can sit there unknown to all.... not even an email notification of it. You can see each time the application has been opened at Ofsted end so it's quite interesting to see if it's just in an electronic pile or it's been worked on.

• Like 1