Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS Checks and the Up-date Service - Who Pays?

Hello all!

I am currently in the process of taking on a new member of staff. As a very small setting, I have in the past always paid for the new employees DBS check and for the up-date service.

However, I have been thinking recently is this the norm? Do settings still pay for new employees DBS checks and the annual up-date service?

If you could be so kind to share what you do and/or the industry practice at present it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm pretty fierce about this one because we've had our fingers burned previously. Now, we pay for DBS the first time round (whether that's because you are new to our nursery or because we are converting your CRB) - we ask all staff to pay for the update service, if they don't and we want to review the DBS they they need to pay for a new one. We deduct the cost of the DBS from final salary - as the DBS is for the benefit of the staff if they take it to a new setting and have signed up to the DBS update service. This is all clear in contracts.

We do a similar thing for training - I will pay for any staff to go on any training, even if it's expensive - because I can see the benefit of having knowledgeable, well-qualified staff - we then write that cost off over a period of time - so if you leave after the agreed period of time, I will have paid for the course. When staff ask me about training we agree the 'write-off' period together. Obviously I don't pay for degrees! but things like EYFS courses, first aid, food hygiene, safeguarding I pay for everything. I had a situation a few years ago when a member of staff did loads of training and cost me several £100's she then promptly left - leaving me to pay again for another staff member to do the training as the previous member of staff 'took' all her knowledge with her.

As an idea - all the courses that 'expire' (1st aid, food hygiene) are written off over 3 years, short EYFS courses (e.g a twilight course) are written off over a year. Annual conferences and Nursery world show are written off over a year. it works really well - staff who are motivated to do training will book onto things knowing that they can do it and I'll pay - we've been pleased we put it in place.

• Like 1

Rebecca I like the training cut off payments. I have experienced exactly the same. Think I can put that into action. The deduction from final salary is a bit concerning. Are we allowed to deduct from salary. Something I recently found out with work place pensions is that permission has to be given before deductions. Mind you if it is in contract then guess permission has been given.

Rebecca I like the training cut off payments. I have experienced exactly the same. Think I can put that into action. The deduction from final salary is a bit concerning. Are we allowed to deduct from salary. Something I recently found out with work place pensions is that permission has to be given before deductions. Mind you if it is in contract then guess permission has been given.

It's not deductions 'at source' I just subtract the amount that I am sending to their bank account - or sometimes they've given me cash at the end of their notice period

• Like 1