Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiration for Phase 1 phonics required

Seems a long time we have been doing Phase 1 phonics games, Noisy Neighbour, Grandma's footsteps etc. and the children do enjoy them, but wondering - what's your setting's favourite game to play and perhaps has anyone any new ideas in this area?

I'm always on the hunt for phase 1 inspiration! I've started doing an activity which is based around the Little Bunnies song mashed with the Dingle Dangle scarecrow song which the children love. I sing...

'When all the children are sleeping and the moon is shining bright,

They hear a noise which gives them quite a fright."

Then I make a noise with something they can't see and they wake up and start hopping. Then we sing together

"What can you hear? What can you hear? What can you hear? What can you hear? etc"

Then the children tell me what the noise was and talk about what it sounded like then I reveal it.

I also play a little game where I tell them to do something but only when I shake the tambourine. When I stop shaking the tambourine they have to stop doing it. Nice for a quick active starter activity.

xxx

• Like 4

Mine used to thoroughly enjoy silly soup, and I made up a game with lots is SATPN pictures - initial letter sounds, and I would choose two sounds and throw the pile of pictures in the air and children has to bring me a specific sound picture. When they got good at it, I wrote the initial letter and they had to pick random pictures up and match them to the letter. They loved it!

Pictures were only small, I had 12 on A4. Googled images mostly but some clip art

• Like 3

Thanks Cait - think we are a way off this at the moment - but will store this one away for later - quite similar to something we have done in the past. We still use the actual objects for silly soup at the moment but your game will add a good extra dimension in the fututrel.

Think from last half term's work we really still need to keep "tuning them in" getting their attention is monumental at the moment. Today's noisy neighbour went down well though, we had given this a little break, so maybe we are getting there some of the time.

I have a 'sounds box' into which I place items beginning with the same sound - we are currently working on 's' - so we take an item out and all say s-s-s-s sock etc. etc.

The we might play a memory game with the items.......

We use Bee-bot with a letters mat - that's always popular!

Lots of 'listening walks'

Beat-baby (for keeping a steady beat)

Tanka- Tanka Skunk with shakers (keeping the beat)

• Like 1

I have a 'sounds box' into which I place items beginning with the same sound - we are currently working on 's' - so we take an item out and all say s-s-s-s sock etc. etc.

The we might play a memory game with the items.......

We use Bee-bot with a letters mat - that's always popular!

Lots of 'listening walks'

Beat-baby (for keeping a steady beat)

Tanka- Tanka Skunk with shakers (keeping the beat)

The sound box is funny - over the week we have had the sound box, into which lots of items go , as you say, S objects, picture the scene - emphasizing the sounds etc. building the activity up over the week, then by Friday playing silly soup with all the objects for that sound etc. What we found was children were remembering items in the box from say, 2 weeks previous, despite us going into raptures about the new sound this week etc. etc.

and so remembering the objects and the sound in the box was becoming a bit frustrating as they were saying things from other times we had played it. This is why we are going back to "tuning in", and I will play silly soup somewhere in the week with one of the SATPIN sounds each week.

Yes listening walks on the list, it is rather noisy where we are - not sure sometimes if that's good or bad - one thing drowns out the other ! But the sounds are pretty diverse, today fire engine in full blues and twos mode, aeroplanes at about 5,000 feet, going into gatwick, helicopter over head, the usual traffic going past the gate - next door's strimmer, ohh and the odd bird tweet.

Do you make ears Sunnyday - or do the children just do the listening walk as they are.- think my lot, might enjoy using some kind of sound gathering gadget - but not something they would have to make/decorate etc. beforehand maybe take a recording device outside and then listen back later.

Edited by Panders

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)