Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted clarification on changes to safeguarding requirements

FSFRebecca

I'm a preschool safeguarding lead. I attended level 3 training many years ago, but keep myself aware of any new information, e.g. from the courses colleagues have attended and information from the LA. The EYFS requirements, which apply to us (and nothing else, as we know have learnt) state nothing about the course being renewed. All it says is: "The lead practitioner must attend a child protection training course." Which is your interpretation?

Did I read something about following Local Safeguarding Children Boards guidance? Ours is to update training every 3 years.

That is only about the contents of the course, not the frequency of updates. EYFS: "The lead practitioner must attend a child protection training course" "Taking account of any advice from the LSCB or local authority on appropriate training courses."

We have just had an OFSTED inspection and she was completely satisfied with our safeguarding training. I do the Level 2 every 2 years along with my named deputy for safeguarding. All other staff do level 1 every 3 years. We have a refresher every 12 months as a staff team and I am able to run that being a Level 2 (I was told this by our LSCB). It strikes me that a lot of companies are doing a bit of scaremongering to drum up business for training.

Ok new Nursery World arrived this morning 17-30th October no sign of the article in there either! Crazy this is important information.

It should come straight from Ofsted to us, in my opinion, not via a magazine. The name of the inspections document is so misleading - it doesn't state that it's only for maintained early years settings. It seems that many LA's have been getting it wrong.

• Like 2

It should come straight from Ofsted to us, in my opinion, not via a magazine. The name of the inspections document is so misleading - it doesn't state that it's only for maintained early years settings. It seems that many LA's have been getting it wrong.

I agree Wildflowers, it was something that just bugged me, that it was online but not in the magazine at the time. One thought though was do we have a two tier system when school provision must be one level and us another, surely we should all be the same.

It seems even lscb have different protocols. Ours say training every 3 years.

Can the LSCB decide this and Ofsted put us down for not adhering to it? The EYFS wording is not clear, at least not to me. My question is, can I judge myself how often I need to be trained?

Edited by Wildflowers

• 1 month later...

Sean Harford (Ofsted) has today published a reminder about the new safeguarding requirements. His reminder contains useful clarification and explanations of the expectations Ofsted have. Remember Gill Jones' point that until these points are embedded in our Statutory Framework they remain 'best practice' but inspectors should not inspect against them.

Inspection and revisions to safeguarding guidance

Inspecting safeguarding. FAQs

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)