Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

We have a local sewing group doing this type of thing, but I find it a bit confusing to be honest. Our local hospital -which has had the one of the most deaths in our county believe- actually had to put out a request for people to stop making them things :/

The group seem happy enough making scrubs and masks out of old sheets and duvets for local care homes etc. But the local carers by us seem to have the blue paper masks anyway.  We see a lot of carers visiting my road.  I'm one the 'young ones' and I'm pretty old!

From an (ex) professional point of view, I know the basic non sterile scrubs could be made very quickly and easily in a factory.

I have the feeling we could have a glut of these things unused in a few months time.

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

If anyone here wants a basic pleated one I'm happy to make them one.  The other 'Olson' type are easy to make but sometimes you need to adjust for  a more personal fit- but I can make them if preferred. 

:ph34r:

That is so kind of you louby - as I have said before 'I can't sew for toffee' - however, I will be stuck in lockdown with Mr S until 30th June (I dare say this will be extended) so no need for me to have a mask - Mr S does have some 'dust' masks if I ever needed anything - but thank you for your kind offer :)

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Hi

Can you believe it's now eight weeks since we closed?:(

<whispers very quietly> - I may have seen my youngest granddaughter today - Shhhh - kept at the appropriate distance and I said "oh I wish we could have a have a big cuddle" - she said, very seriously "we are not allowed to nana because of coronavirus", I said "oh I know I would like to smack that virus", she said "you wouldn't be able to, it's so tiny that you can't even see it" - I think I am pleased that she has some understanding, but I'm sad that this happening in the little world - she is only 4, will be 5 next month

But anyway it was wonderful to see her and to get to talk her :)

Have a good weekend all

Glad you've had a good day :):) I've been worried about you as you've been quiet.

From next week my granddaughter is distant visiting Mon,Weds and Fridays. She said if I'm expecting to go to work then she's distant visiting :o:D

I'm glad because I think this has had quite an effect on my daughters mental health, now  she's actually made a plan. :)

It must be so hard for new mums at the moment . My neighbours (other side to the elderly one) have  just become grandparents. Their daughter had her baby on the 16th April- it was all pretty traumatic with no visitors, and total isolation for the new parents that they have made the decision to move back home, so the new mum can now have some support in the early weeks.

• Like 1

We have had two little rule breaks around here today...

My poor BIL has Parkinsons, he fell in his garden this afternoon, my sister has RA and cannot get him up on her own, so my eldest son had to go to the rescue....risky but she didn't want to call an ambulance

• Like 2

Well im glad you are only breaking the rules a little...not like my blinkin neighbours who had a bl***y party today with about 15 people from various households,,,really not on my friends Mum is dying and she's not allowed to see her and they have had their first grandchild born...can't see him either but apparently the rules don't apply to some people.....I'm very cross>:(

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

We have had two little rule breaks around here today...

My poor BIL has Parkinsons, he fell in his garden this afternoon, my sister has RA and cannot get him up on her own, so my eldest son had to go to the rescue....risky but she didn't want to call an ambulance

My SIL's  father in law died yesterday, 97  but not covic related,  anyway they have been visiting to check him every Thursday,  and do go in and sit with him for an hour or so. They are both 70+ with their own issues so they don't leave their house any other time anyway. Luckily yesterday they were there yesterday when he fell out of bed, they had to call the paramedics who arrived very quickly and got him back into bed, but he then quickly went down hill and died shortly after. At least he had his family with him.

Very hard to support family  both young and old in these strange  times.  At least SIL's husband was an only child, and they themselves have no children, so the funeral would have been very quite anyway,  no sure what the current allowance is - if 10 it should be ok for most of us to go.

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Well im glad you are only breaking the rules a little...not like my blinkin neighbours who had a bl***y party today with about 15 people from various households,,,really not on my friends Mum is dying and she's not allowed to see her and they have had their first grandchild born...can't see him either but apparently the rules don't apply to some people.....I'm very cross>:(

I would be cross too - how irresponsible

44 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

wouldn't mind so much but they're childminders

Have they been like it all the time? or are they thinking - well I'm expected to look after other peoples children, so I'm going to see my friends.:/

Permission to be cross please .. and maybe a little selfish .. but

Please can someone explain to me why nannies and cleaners (who both both work in other people's homes) are allowed to return to work - this means my son's cleaner gets to see my granddaughter and yet I can't ... need a crying emoji.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Have they been like it all the time? or are they thinking - well I'm expected to look after other peoples children, so I'm going to see my friends.:/

Yes they have mixed all 4 branches of their family.for the last 7 weeks

They are due to start taking children back next week. Suspect that they wont stick to the one family rule !

7 minutes ago, Gezabel said:

Please can someone explain to me why nannies and cleaners (who both both work in other people's homes) are allowed to return to work - this means my son's cleaner gets to see my granddaughter and yet I can't ... need a crying emoji.  

Its things like this that a winding people up. :(  I told my daughter she could pay me to look after the baby while she did our payroll xD

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Yes they have mixed all 4 branches of their family.for the last 7 weeks

They are due to start taking children back next week. Suspect that they wont stick to the one family rule !

That's worrying :(

1 hour ago, Gezabel said:

Absolutely - I can't see my granddaughter (ok maybe I did today) yet I can go back to work and spend hours with my best friends granddaughter who attends my pre-school - oh and of course my friend can't see her - it's madness really

• Like 1

Yesterday was a really busy work day but I spent the evening with my crochet hook; the new blanket is coming along nicely.

Today I'm going to brave Tesco, do work for next week and this afternoon I have a pictionary game by zoom which my nephew is in charge of as one of his teachers played it with them!  I might, on the other hand avoid the work thing completely as I have to log on tomorrow evening anyway to upload Monday's learning.  If I do that though I really need to make sure I start first thing in the morning.  It is nice to have a completely school free day at the weekend.  Decisions, decisions... 

I also need to eat some more of the whole orange cake I made the other day, very tasty but not too sweet!

13 hours ago, louby loo said:

Its things like this that a winding people up. :(  I told my daughter she could pay me to look after the baby while she did our payroll xD

I heard someone say ( can't remember who!) they could pay their Mum to come in and clean the house and Dad to do the garden!!!

Ah there you are young Froglet - you do realise that if you don't post on the 'Friday' thread I begin to worry about you :)

Eat the cake, it is risky to leave it, it might 'go off' xD

Ahh, thank you. No need to worry about me just am not always entirely sure of the day usually!

As for the cake - on one memorable occasion I did forget a cake but chances are slim! This is what I’m eating at the moment - I was quite proud of the free form icing.5B68B030-68C2-4F9F-8809-77BC37D4AE0B.thumb.jpeg.edaf9a44b39b2f244ce7a0bd4f523c8c.jpeg

Also, have I mentioned that my new blanket colours are based on a Black Forest gateau. Someone else’s idea but it made me think that other cake themed blanket colour schemes could be a good thing!

• Like 1

I think this problem is technically explained that, if a nanny or cleaner is not a member of your family you are unlikely to hug them, or get too close to them, so the R rate is unlikely to be affected.     Exceedingly frustrating for all of us who would be so much happier for being with our families.

2 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Ahh, thank you. No need to worry about me just am not always entirely sure of the day usually!

As for the cake - on one memorable occasion I did forget a cake but chances are slim! This is what I’m eating at the moment - I was quite proud of the free form icing.5B68B030-68C2-4F9F-8809-77BC37D4AE0B.thumb.jpeg.edaf9a44b39b2f244ce7a0bd4f523c8c.jpeg

Also, have I mentioned that my new blanket colours are based on a Black Forest gateau. Someone else’s idea but it made me think that other cake themed blanket colour schemes could be a good thing!

MMmmmmmm    marble cake blanket

27 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

Humm something chocolatey minty and creamy for my colour scheme i think

Love the fruit cake colour though

I have a chocolate peppermint slice recipe which is delicious - like a cake version of after eight mints.