Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Did anyone note that Prof. Jonathan Van-Tam acknowledged the impossibility of social distancing for 4/5 year olds during the daily briefing

Let’s hope someone listens to him! So sick of reading all the speculation about schools going back that is being stirred up by the media.

• Like 1

so odd, though, in Sweden its the youngest children still going to nursery etc, and the older ones that are off for school, college closures.   I assume that's to enable parents to continue to work.  They are going for herd immunity and keeping most things open and shielding 65+ and those with underlying health.

On 30/03/2020 at 17:22, finleysmaid said:

the corner chop at cockleberry bay has won lots of awards (its on kindle too ) i havent read it but thought i might have a go at it....can't remember the last time i read a non work book

Has taken me an age to find this post - but wanted to say thank you - have just finished this book, thoroughly enjoyed it and just about to start the sequel :)

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Has taken me an age to find this post - but wanted to say thank you - have just finished this book, thoroughly enjoyed it and just about to start the sequel :)

35 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Me too.  Just started second book. :) 

• Like 2

Can't believe it's Friday again already.

To be honest apart from the whole 'will you/won't you.. reopen/stay closed' stresses for the last few weeks, I'm actually settling rather well into this new routine. :/

I'm now feeling a lot less stressed. We had a (social distanced) meeting with my daughter and granddaughter - we have had a lot of the baby's bits stored here from when they moved to a 'doer-upper'. They were hoping to get quite a lot done before needing the bits, well the building work didn't happen and poor baby is developing so fast she really needed some of the stuff we had here. (not to mention the clothes- we had most of the 3-6 myths, and she's 4mths  today :o)  We dropped off stuff, had a quick chat from a distance,  I really couldn't stay long as all I  wanted to hug both of them :(, so made it short and sharp just encase I cracked and got upset.

That was Wednesday, it's the first time I actually been 'out' since 20th March- and was surprised by the amount of traffic on road - seemed like a normal day!  Although that even it was announced that there had been a jump int traffic!  (I felt a bit bad them about my trip )

I was finally able to get the replacement food processor so have been playing with that a bit.

Was told by LA we had to phone EVERY parent AT LEAST  once a week.... mulled that one over and decided I would do what I needed to do, and not what they thought I needed to do!  I'm get a bit sick of being told what to do with my own business, I know my needy and vulnerable families - and it's certainly not ALL of them only one, possibly two, the rest will have the constant informal communication that they all seem to enjoy  and respond well to.

Oh and I made some masks I didn't want any payment and she gave me a bottle of wine and some chocolate - that made me very happy :D:D

I can't get any sound on zigzags video but it looks so sweet.

It reminded me of once when were in America and a man got on a train with a small baby. He looked a bit distracted and not  interested in the baby, promptly sat down and got out his iPod (long time ago) put the headphone on and started fiddling about. Typical I thought!..... however he then picked up baby and gently  popped one earpiece in the baby and they spent the rest of the journey snuggled up and extracting beautifully .

It reminded me not to be so judgmental one what I  first see.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Can't believe it's Friday again already.

To be honest apart from the whole 'will you/won't you.. reopen/stay closed' stresses for the last few weeks, I'm actually settling rather well into this new routine. :/

I'm now feeling a lot less stressed. We had a (social distanced) meeting with my daughter and granddaughter - we have had a lot of the baby's bits stored here from when they moved to a 'doer-upper'. They were hoping to get quite a lot done before needing the bits, well the building work didn't happen and poor baby is developing so fast she really needed some of the stuff we had here. (not to mention the clothes- we had most of the 3-6 myths, and she's 4mths  today :o)  We dropped off stuff, had a quick chat from a distance,  I really couldn't stay long as all I  wanted to hug both of them :(, so made it short and sharp just encase I cracked and got upset.

That was Wednesday, it's the first time I actually been 'out' since 20th March- and was surprised by the amount of traffic on road - seemed like a normal day!  Although that even it was announced that there had been a jump int traffic!  (I felt a bit bad them about my trip )

I was finally able to get the replacement food processor so have been playing with that a bit.

Was told by LA we had to phone EVERY parent AT LEAST  once a week.... mulled that one over and decided I would do what I needed to do, and not what they thought I needed to do!  I'm get a bit sick of being told what to do with my own business, I know my needy and vulnerable families - and it's certainly not ALL of them only one, possibly two, the rest will have the constant informal communication that they all seem to enjoy  and respond well to.

Oh and I made some masks I didn't want any payment and she gave me a bottle of wine and some chocolate - that made me very happy :D:D

Lovely that you managed to see your daughter and granddaughter even if it was from a distance :)

I have been in touch with parents - but I wouldn't phone them - might be just one of my quirks - but I find phone calls quite intrusive (unless from family and friends) - emails, texts much more welcome

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Lovely that you managed to see your daughter and granddaughter even if it was from a distance :)

I have been in touch with parents - but I wouldn't phone them - might be just one of my quirks - but I find phone calls quite intrusive (unless from family and friends) - emails, texts much more welcome

Me too re; phone calls!  We seem to do a mix of  text, email and Facebook - and everyone seems happy with that. 

I do not think my parents would like to be phoned and I would feel very uncomfortable doing it.  I am popping messages on our messenger page which most are responding to alongside the activities and video of me reading stories on Tapestry. It’s all very relaxed and friendly!  
I personally cannot believe where the days go, at the start of all this I thought I would get so much done! But I just seem to plod through the day not achieving anything and then before I know it, it’s bedtime again.  I do keep thinking I should get to my setting and start getting it straight and organised ready to return, but then I think we’ll if we are not returning (hopefully) before September, what’s the point doing it now! I really hope we get some clarity next week on what to expect. It’s really doing my head in now!  I have been reading posts on a FB early years page and everyone is the same, fed up of everyone surmising different dates, and expectations of opening hours etc and just how we can manage a return safely with this age group.  Settings who have stayed open (I have nothing but respect for you) clearly state that it’s impossible to social distance the children and staff and that all the cleaning that has to take place must be very time consuming each day. Right I’m stopping now as I will start getting anxious again.🤨😱 Happy and safe Friday all.x

• Like 2

To be honest the constant cleaning throughout  out the day worries me a little. One mentioned on facebook that the setting was beginning to smell like a swimming pool :/ Surely that can't be good with little ones around?. 

Have a good week-end everyone, I have chocolate and wine, so I will enjoy :)   I will not read anything early year related until Monday. (except on here of course :) ) xx

• Like 1

Had to share this, that I saw on FB.

Lockdown Lingo’ - are you fully conversant with the new terminology? 

Coronacoaster
The ups and downs of your mood during the pandemic. You’re loving lockdown one minute but suddenly weepy with anxiety the next. It truly is “an emotional coronacoaster”. 

Quarantinis
Experimental cocktails mixed from whatever random ingredients you have left in the house. The boozy equivalent of a store cupboard supper. Southern Comfort and Ribena quarantini with a glacé cherry garnish, anyone? These are sipped at “locktail hour”.

Coronials
As opposed to millennials, this refers to the future generation of babies conceived or born during coronavirus quarantine. They might also become known as “Generation C”.

Furlough Merlot
Wine consumed in an attempt to relieve the frustration of not working. Also known as “bored-eaux” or “cabernet tedium”.

Coronadose
An overdose of bad news from consuming too much media during a time of crisis. Can result in a “panicdemic”.

Getting on your Wicks
Vexing noise levels from neighbours doing their daily workout with Joe Wicks.

Claphazard
Someone so enthusiastic about saluting our care workers that they forget all social distancing guidelines, start hugging their neighbours and high-fiving passing pedestrians. 

The elephant in the Zoom
The glaring issue during a videoconferencing call that nobody feels able to mention. E.g. one participant has dramatically put on weight, suddenly sprouted terrible facial hair or has a worryingly messy house visible in the background.

Doughverkill
One’s social media feed being dominated by smug photos of home-made sourdough or banana bread. If making sourdough is so great, how come you'd never done it before March?

Covidiot
One who ignores public health advice or behaves with reckless disregard for the safety of others can be said to display “covidiocy” or be “covidiotic”. Also called a “lockclown” or even a “Wuhan-ker”.

Space invader
Someone who routinely comes closer to you than the recommended two metres and who you’d like to zap like in an arcade game. 

Goutbreak
The sudden fear that you’ve consumed so much wine, cheese, home-made cake and Easter chocolate in lockdown that your ankles are swelling up like a medieval king’s. 

Caught between a shop and a hoard place
The dilemma of needing to purchase basics but not wanting to be accused of stockpiling. I'm not stockpiling, I usually buy this many tins of beans.

Antisocial distancing
Using health precautions as an excuse for snubbing neighbours and generally ignoring people you find irritating. 

Quaranteam
The people and/or pets you’re in lockdown with are your “quaranteam”. This era’s equivalent of #squadgoals.

Coughin’ dodger
Someone so alarmed by an innocuous splutter or throat-clear that they back away in terror. 

Tandemic
A sun-kissed glow acquired from sitting in one’s garden or (gasp!) flouting the rules on park sunbathing.

Co-runner virus
An infection potentially spread by selfish fitness fanatics taking up an entire path by jogging two abreast.

Covid-10
The 10lbs in weight that we’re all gaining from comfort-eating and comfort-drinking. Also known as “fattening the curve”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A lot of these were in the Daily Mail today.

One I particularly liked was Fattening the Curve  -  What Sharon has been doing with the doughnuts.  See also Covid 18 the number of pounds we've all gained since lockdown began

• Haha 2

Of course we need to open schools again. 

Children miss their friends, they miss learning. And education
staff miss them too, we miss watching them discover new ideas, helping them
grow and develop and we worry about the impact of this crisis on their
wellbeing. 

That’s why we know a plan is absolutely essential. Children need
stability now, not chaos. 

Whether it’s a reception child who’s worried about that difficult
transition to year 1, the year 6 kids pondering what big-school has in store,
or the year 10s and 11s wondering if the future holds any hope for them. 

We need a viable, practical, workable plan from the Government
that we can implement school-by-school.

Share the petition now and let’s grow this groundswell of
public support.

We’re hard at work with heads and teachers in different settings
all over the country trying to work out what a viable plan looks like. 

A plan that keeps our families safe and that helps children with
what will be a difficult transition back to schools that will look and feel
very different. 

Stay safe,

Kevin Courtney

Joint General Secretary

National Education Union

PS You can forward this email or share the direct link to the petition:
bit.ly/openwhensafe

Oh my actual goodness - I have received a 'product recall' email from Sainsburys - it is for 'Green Giant Sweetcorn' - gee thanks - we did have a tin, I added it to a tuna pasta sald and we have eaten it :ph34r: oh well, that was several days ago and we are still here to tell the tale xD

• Like 1
  • Confused 1