Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Just now, finleysmaid said:

OOH get you...had to look that one up....

All employees have a term implied into their contract of employment that they can refuse to attend their workplace if it unsafe for them to do so. Under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996, an individual is protected from suffering a detriment (i.e. disciplinary action or a deduction from pay) if they exercise their legal right to refuse to attend a workplace that is not safe. This is individual right that all members should invoke using our model letter.

so therefore doesn't appear to be union related!

Well done fm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm seriously thinking of sending myself my section 44 letter.       I'm almost ready to throw the towel to be honest,  I just feel to old for this now.

Tomorrow we're in with no children, and until the 18th we have an average of 9 children a day. I going to see if my deputy wants to take over completely, and I'll just be admin from home and emergency cover is really needed.

It's a rubbish situation louby - but that does sound like a good idea - maybe

3 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

could we send a section 44 to our LEA's as they pay us to provide a service?

I might try, better than sending to myself!   Does your link generate a letter even if you don't belong the education union - think I shall try... 

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

could we send a section 44 to our LEA's as they pay us to provide a service?

Actually, I wonder what would happen if we invited our local council to come in and do a covid safety compliance check?  I'm pretty sure we'd fail because our hall is pretty rough 😳

11 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Actually, I wonder what would happen if we invited our local council to come in and do a covid safety compliance check?  I'm pretty sure we'd fail because our hall is pretty rough 😳

our chair came in today to make sure we were alright...we were just talking about health and safety when her 3 year old licked the coat stand ! 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

I'm seriously thinking of sending myself my section 44 letter

This made me lol ...good plan! 

I am shocked and truly believe this is a finance decision and nothing else, my county have emailed this morning to say no funding if chn don’t attend (did they already know what was coming?) and telling parents this feels like I’m blackmailing them to keep their chn in when really the more that pull out at the moment the better but it would be a massive financial hit if the funding decision isn’t changed ....and what’s one more U-turn going to matter 🤔 

• Like 1

Late last night Mr S said "look love, I can't put you in the position where you have to stop work for my sake, I know how much you love the pre-school, I can get a caravan and put in the garden and stay out there so that you can go back"......

That brought me to my senses very quickly - that is not happening - I am not going back until the schools are allowed to reopen - I have emailed my parents this morning to tell them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Late last night Mr S said "look love, I can't put you in the position where you have to stop work for my sake, I know how much you love the pre-school, I can get a caravan and put in the garden and stay out there so that you can go back"......

That brought me to my senses very quickly - that is not happening - I am not going back until the schools are allowed to reopen - I have emailed my parents this morning to tell them

Ahh bless his heart.  Good for you Sunnyday. Xx

• Like 1

We have taken the decision to close. My staff are not happy and are feeling compromised...they would do it for me but i don't want them to do that. Things are worse now than in March. I cannot ask them to risk their lives for the sake of a low paid job!😪

• Like 2

I am currently working from home, reading this thread with tears and interest. My husband has Covid, I have symptoms, I cannot fault my staff and their dedication but I feel such responsibility and don't know what to do for the best, the lack of information because of the last minute change has screwed us all over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zigzag said:

So those who are closing what are you doing about paying staff or not?

That will depend on the situation with funding - have had a conversation with my staff (never comfortable really referring to these dear friends and colleagues as staff) - they understand that no funding = no pay

8 minutes ago, Jackanory said:

I am currently working from home, reading this thread with tears and interest. My husband has Covid, I have symptoms, I cannot fault my staff and their dedication but I feel such responsibility and don't know what to do for the best, the lack of information because of the last minute change has screwed us all over.

So sorry to read this - sending every good wish to you and your husband

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

We have taken the decision to close. My staff are not happy and are feeling compromised...they would do it for me but i don't want them to do that. Things are worse now than in March. I cannot ask them to risk their lives for the sake of a low paid job!😪

My feelings exactly fm

We should not be in this position at all - sick to death of being so undervalued

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zigzag said:

It’s really shocking! And 60,000 new cases today.

I'm really struggling to not put a sarcastic post on our Facebook page 🤣  On the whole our parents have been fantastic in supporting us- but you always have one and they like to try and stir others up!

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, zigzag said:

I was warned last night in a nice round about way to keep my mouth shut and not say what I think!  I’m staying off our messenger page and watching with interest as the chairperson deals with the parents.  

I guess having a committee to deal with is just stressful as being the owner :( 

33 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

More so I reckon

I’m with you there!

2 staff have said today for different reasons that they don’t want to work, we’ve had nearly  half our chn pulled out and I will go into ratio when needed so doable until parents change their minds and more want to come back, no idea at this point if we will get a U-turn on funding and no idea if they are entitled to furlough or have to take it as unpaid leave, I’m guessing furlough is out as one won’t be available to work if required anyway and not even sure we’d have anything much to claim furlough from unless funding doesn’t come through, I guess I should be reading up about it rather than being on here .....is it half term yet? :’( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1