Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking children at the right time...

Hi Folks,

Can anyone share with me their views on an effective time to track children's progress?

We have followed advise from our EYIO in the past and tracked children, three times throughout the year - in Sept, March and July ( we complete a base line check for new starters in Sept, or whenever they start, so all children have a next step target ASAP).

Thank you very much in advance :)

Lucy

Hello Lucy,

The 'right time' is an interesting idea ... in my view, tracking happens for different reasons. I would expect it to be different for different ages and is flexible. We set a baseline and review this 1/2 termly for all children. We also have the progress check / integrated review at 2yrs+. We also have the 'on to school' summative assessment. We also complete a summative assessment before each parents evening (Autumn and Summer). As a key person I track individual children on a weekly basis to make sure that they are making progress as I would expect - this would change if I was concerned about a particular area or if there was something in their life that caused me to pay particular attention. So, for example, I would be looking to see rapid progress in PSED during settling. As a manager I would look to see progress of cohorts over a longer period of time - I look over 1/2 term to check progress of all my different cohorts. I think what I'm saying is that each setting is different and you have to go with what is appropriate for you and your children and takes into account the advice of your LA

• Like 1

Thanks Rebecca,

I don't think that I explained that very well, sorry.

I meant a more formal summative assessment of all areas with an overview of age related expectations etc.

Obviously tracking with regard to observation happens constantly alongside school reports, two year checks, SEN&D tracking etc.

​I was wondering when other people / settings do this more formal tracking and what works for them... we don't use tapestry by the way!

Thanks so much

Lucy :)

Well I do the formal tracking forms at end of December, March and July. Starting point comes from talks with parents before the children start, but this can be adjusted with our own observations, or the 2 year check if it's not quite the same. Is that what you mean?

• Like 1

Hi, yes that is what I mean. I think it is the September one that throws everything because we thought we would benefit from tracking them after the Summer hols but then it leaves too much of a gap. Do you just observe them as normal when they come back in September and change their next steps accordingly ?

thank you :)

Simple answer is yes! We have an idea in mind based on last tracker info, but in many ways we do start afresh, it never ceases to amaze me how much they change in 6/7 weeks and yet during a half term we don't always "see" it. Maybe it's to do with the break ourselves, we are much revived and notice more!!

We suggest roughly end Oct' Feb and June/July but settings adapt to what works for them, eg if they are term time or all year round they may shift things slightly. October gives time for new children to settle, and for all year rounders it's approx 4 months between them. Some of our settings do 4, some even do 6 eg half termly so there is no hard and fast rule, just a system that works for each setting and their families.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)