Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thinking of selling.....

tish501

I have just had 5 days off and returned this evening to nursery to drop shopping

off..... go into the building...and come out fuming again,as owner I expect and

pay my staff to work,look after the children and resources.....but nothing gets

put away unless i am there.....last weeks 'shopping' (toilet rolls baby wipes,tissues

left where I put them....magnets and metal cars under water....bubble lotion spilled all

over the mail......everywhere untidy...with Ofsted due soon....How are your staff...and

resouces...am i being too fussy...would appreciate your comments TIA If i sell solves

the problem..but would new owner expect more from my staff like i do or put them out of

a job ?

Whose in charge on a day to day basis. Sharing the workload between the team enables an efficient workforce. If your staff have particular responsibilities and they are not completed then you can go to that person to discuss why.

That said, as we all know early years is a very busy environment and putting the wipes, toilet rolls and tissues away may not have been high on the to do list.( it's normally myself that does this very thing).

Is someone given time within their working day to complete these tasks.

Could they not be put straight away when purchased, maybe a staff meeting to discuss this might be appropriate.

As for selling and having a new owner and the staff, I think that would be something the new owner would have to sort and would not be your concern anymore.

Hope you make the right decision for you.fx

• Like 1

Manager is the problem,being my daughter is not lol...staff meetings ..only 1 since new year...nobody

available on the nights I suggest (I pay them to stay )....2 younger staff have altered the ethos of

the nursery..preeening,chatting outside,....making it 'flat' if you see my meaning...I was Last week chatting to

children about how they love the Minions..who is their favourite?..then a child asked young member of staff..

who's your favourite..?? 'What are the Minions? 'she answered ..me ...In Despicable Me...have you not seen it...

lovely family film'..... 'Why would i have seen it !! I don't have a family !! ' in that sarcastic tone

of voice. is it a generation thing or did good manners go out of the window.....?? dont know what to do x

I don't think you are alone in feeling as you do. We all know that there seems to be little respect for the really important role we play in these very young children's lives. Unfortunately, more and more, it feels as though even the 'new practitioners' coming into the workforce do not show the respect or the understanding that I personally think is required.

Are you a term time or all year round setting?

• Like 1

Hi lsp...we are full daycare....only close for christmas....i envy our 2 settings in our village,winding down to

finish in about 2 weeks time....where we go through the summer with minimal children....have a man coming tomorrow

night to chat confidentially re selling....see what he says ..I am freehold no mortgage or rent on the nursery...if he offers

me a fortune might cut and run..but will break my heart...If my staff listened to me it would be different.... :(

That's a nice amount. He'll give you that for it, or was he just valuing it? I think I'd be very thempted to take the money and run!

Seriously though, only you know the full details and how you really feel. It's ultimately your decision.

How do you reckon the offer amount stacks up, in terms of

1. value of your freehold

2. value of assets in nursery

3. value of goodwill/reputation/future profit.

I think you need to calculate all 3, and then compare to his suggested amount.

Edited by eyfs1966

Yep....sounds a lot....obscene amount really for a normal person....but yes,we have invested all our time,money,

and energy building it up over the past 12 years of business...had to work yest as 2 staff off....and lovely day

..our small bouncy castle out,ice cream shop on the go in our seaside theme....a little shower of rain....

my vain young graduate member of staff,in flipflops (!!!) came out of the door.....and seriously

'oh its raining...MY TOES WILL GET WET!!.....honestly I was gobsmacked....then she asked where the childrens umbrellas were

and proceeded to stand with small brolly over her hair....rain stopped in one minute....this is what deflates me ....

will get 2nd price from Redwoods and see how they compare...Ihave always absolutely loved working

with children....but its wearing me down...yesterday teachers to see new children starting school Sep

---handed the childrens learning journies...'We dont want them ' and refused to take them...so they have now been given to

their parents as a very expansive diary of the childrens time at nursery.....more deflation.... :( Or I could also say expensive LOL

Edited by tish501

Hi Tish501,

Do you think you would feel this way if you had dedicated staff? Perhaps instead of selling, you could look at going down the supervisory route. Unfortunately, common sense is sadly lacking in some of our younger recruits and they do need things spelt out to them. Such as suitable clothing and footwear and how to speak to/with children (and adults!) If it is a common factor amongst your staff, then perhaps an adjustment to your code of conduct/policies. There are lovely, enthusiastic staff out there wanting to work with children. Working with young children is a vocation, I think. What chance have your children got if some of your staff only opted for childcare because the hairdressing course was full. It would be a shame to walk away from your business after twelve years. Surely it would be better to change things from the inside and model good practice.

• Like 2