Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk assessment for outings

Looking for some advice regarding risk assessments when leaving the setting, to the park down the road or something similar. Do we need one? I (deputy manager) think we do and would like one even if we didn't just to cover ourselves but my manager disagrees. What do you include in yours? What can I use to convince her? Thanks!

We have one that just identifies the hazards and what you will do to lower the risk of these. For example we have to cross a style which can be tricky for some so to reduce risk we have a member of staff on the style to help children across, which then reduces the risk. I think it is good practice to do a risk assessment for outings as it reminds ALL staff of the hazards and may just make them more aware.

• Like 1

For regular trips, such as the farm or the park I have a pre filled form because the risks are always the same. I just date each one and add any changes to it. I am in the camp of not doing unnessecary paperwork if I don't have to.

I am also very much in the camp of not doing any unnecessary paperwork, however, risk assessments are vital. They are fairly straightforward to complete and as zigzag says, you only need one for each regular trip. The justification for me is that if ever anything did happen whilst out on a trip, we would be hauled over the coals if we weren't able to show that a risk assessment had taken place.

• Like 2

We have one risk assessment for each trip that we go on regularly, e.g. the park, walk around community etc, these are then checked and updated if needed once a year. We then also have a sheet that we complete each time they go out that states names of who's going, time leaving, time expected back, have you taken things like first aid kit, phone, drinks and snacks if needed, spare clothes, nappies etc. it also has a tick box to say which areas of learning we expect the trip to contribute to.

Thank you all so much for your replies! AliceInWonderland I think I will use something similar to you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)