Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tell me why I shouldn't apply to join Mrs O?

HoneyPancakes

Hi well-informed people,

My husband has sent me the link to some Early Years Ofsted inspector's jobs. I seem to have the requirements to apply so I've been plodding away at an application, but other's I respect aren't jumping at the opportunity. Might it be that terrible? Application due in before midnight. Any thoughts appreciated.

Honey.

I have a friend who did the training as a possible semi-retirement option. She does do inspections every now and then, but decided it wasn't for her.

She thought it's a good opportunity to help others see how they can improve what they are doing, and to point out to them what they are doing well (we often don't see this for ourselves I think).

It is frustrating though because you only go for that one short session, and not for an on-going mentoring style relationship.

Good luck with the application.

Is it a 'proper 9-5' job ? I know they are changing and are going to employ their own inspectors again and I'm guessing this is a role you're applying for.

My friend is a current inspector and I know her pay actually works out around the same pay as at preschool when you add all the hours of researching settings before hand, report writing after.

Go for it though... you can always changes your mind later - and you'll only regret not applying. :1b :1b

• Like 1

Is it a 'proper 9-5' job ? I know they are changing and are going to employ their own inspectors again and I'm guessing this is a role you're applying for.

Yes, this is a 37.5 hours job - which I would expect to be much longer hours. But the pay is £43,085 plus expenses and bonus for outstanding work. That's a lot of child minding!

As this role is full time rather than freelance, its perhaps different. What struck me was the amount of extra training that you had to do and pay for yourself as well as all the extras for travel etc. I'd certainly look at all this before you sign on the dotted, although you said expenses are extra so perhaps this won't be an issue.

I'm glad I did the training as it was brilliant but it isn't really my cup of tea, and it's very different from the role I do have, which is rooted in building relationships, much more my cuppa.

but if you think you'd like it even just for a short term experience then why not, it will certainly give you a breadth of experience that's difficult to get any other way.

• Like 4

Well, It's submitted. Been a good experience writing a job application any which way. Haven't done that since the internet was invented. Must make a concerted effort to get all that information in the right order. It has also made me a bit dissatisfied with my financial lot. The difference between earning potential as a childminder and what they were offering is a bit demoralising. Might even do honours and give it a proper go.

Thanks for the reality checks.

Honey