Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

rhyming activites

skippy

Hi

Please can anyone help me with some activities and background to teaching rhyming please?

Children are working within 30-50 and 40-60 months.

Struggling to know how to introduce it and what activities I could do

thanks

we do lots of matching picture cards and objects, eg someone chooses a card and the others have to find the picture or object with the word that sounds the 'same'...you do have to check that they all think the pics are the same though, it doesn't go so well when you've thrown a jug and a mug into the mix and they all think its a cup or the coat and goat are a jacket and sheep lol

• Like 4

A game for children who are new to rhyming

Introduce that you are going to play a rhyming body game.

So you say what rhymes with bed? And point to your head, hopefully they will say head.

Pies point to eyes, Boulder point to shoulder. etc

As they get better at this pause before pointing to see if they can work it out.

• Like 2

We start off by making up rhyming strings for their name e.g. Mollie/bolly/lolly/solly etc.

and a game I got from here; the bibbidy bobbidy game! - so for Sam you would sing - "bibbidy bobbidy bam, the elephant sat on Sam", and for Evie you would sing "bibbidy bobbidy bevie, the elephant sat on Evie etc etc - mine love it x

A game for children who are new to rhyming

Introduce that you are going to play a rhyming body game.

So you say what rhymes with bed? And point to your head, hopefully they will say head.

Pies point to eyes, Boulder point to shoulder. etc

As they get better at this pause before pointing to see if they can work it out.

Love this idea, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

There is a song which can be rather long - here goes

I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor, a boa constrictor, a boa constrictor

I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor and I don't like it one little bit.

Oh no, he's eaten my toe, eaten my toe, eaten my toe

Oh no he's eaten my toe and I don't like it one little bit

Oh gee, he's eaten my knee etc

Oh fiddle he's eaten my middle etc

Oh pest, he's eaten my chest etc............all their own rhyming words

Gradually come up the body, we let the children choose a body part (sometimes not always a good idea though, with some of the things they come out with!!) and they think of a rhyming word to go with it.

When they get to the head - Oh dread, he's eaten my head ........ gulp!

Might sound a strange one to you but our children think it good and come up with good rhyming words.

V

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)