Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff performance

Hi,

I am looking to improve staff performance and to devise an action plan for each staff member so that they can also monitor and Know what they need to do.

How do you all monitor staff performance?

I currently use supervisions/appraisals and peer observations. What else can I do or how can I use information more effectively to improve teaching and care?

Thank you

You or one of your staff members could do a Sustained Shared Thinking and Emotional Well-being (SSTEW) audit. It's similar to ITERS and ECERS but looks at interactions between staff and children.

You can buy it on Amazon (or elsewhere) or, if you know any university students, you could borrow it from a university library when you want to carry it out

Edited by Rob6692

We also currently use supervisions/appraisals and peer observations.. this works well enough for us. We have never recorded staff at work yet it sounds like a great idea, and the SSTEW idea went right over my head, again it sounds like great advice, if you have the time.

• Like 1

You or one of your staff members could do a Sustained Shared Thinking and Emotional Well-being (SSTEW) audit. It's similar to ITERS and ECERS but looks at interactions between staff and children.

You can buy it on Amazon (or elsewhere) or, if you know any university students, you could borrow it from a university library when you want to carry it out

We are a R.improvement setting and are due our ofated inspection any day now.We have worked very hard in all areas. One of the things we gave started is Learning Journeys(in a ring binder) for all staff which have got their supervisions in and we have a separate section called staff monitoring. It does take a bit of time for our two weekly monitoring of planning/learning journey's and overall performance but i think it will be worth it if we get a good.We need a good this time or our funding will get pulled.

• Like 1

Hi pickles37

I am a nursery manager and monitor my practitioners children's learning journey's and planning fortnightly.I also monitor staff performance through room observations and of course peer observations every 2 to 4 weeks.hope that helps

Hi again

The way i monitor learning Journey's is to collect a few learning journeys off each key person and i go through them to make sure that staff are doing good quality observations and the next steps are appropriate and challenging. I have to do this as our inspector at our last inspection found that this wasnt happening

• 3 weeks later...

The requirement for Ofsted is that leaders and managers should 'monitor ... coach ... mentor ... support' p32 para 150. Inspectors have to obtain evidence but that evidence doesn't have to be paperwork. If you look at the link above and see p32 para 149 it describes what the sources of evidence need to be. Any notes or records you make should help you and your staff, they are not for Ofsted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi - I am trying to encourage our staff to self evaluate on a weekly basis and would like some help as to what I could put on the evaluation sheet - things like "what I did well this week", "what could I improve on" I would also like to encourage the staff to just go that extra little bit but I need some help on how to put this across. I find this forum so helpful so any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks

• Like 2