Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic/ literacy ctivity for ofsted who are coming tomorrow help!

Rosebud123

I need to prepare a short fun activity activity for literacy for my 3 and 4 year olds!!! One of my children has behaviour difficulties and is not always compliant. They enjoy using scissors so need to think of an activity where I can can engage them but especially this child any ideas please. And any other tips or things I should know or be well prepared for.

My advice - Just do what you would normally do. I assume your usual activities are short and fun so don't do something "special"!

Manage the behaviour how you normally would.

Be clear about the pitch of your activity - they may enjoy using scissors but is this something your assessment tells you they need to develop - otherwise you won't demonstrate how you use AfL to inform your planning.

Inspectors might come in at any time so you need to be prepared for the whole day!!

Cx

My first thought was 'well I wouldn't attempt anything fancy just because Ofsted are coming'!

Why not just use a tried and trusted activity - perhaps a story with a rhyming text and/or repeated refrains that children are familiar with and can join in with

Can you provide some one-to-one support for the child with 'behaviour issues'.......

For scissors - I would just go for cutting and sticking - magazines etc - be great if you can follow their interests there :1b

Good luck! :1b

• Like 1

Thankyou I was thinking of maybe having a bag of items/pics beginning with s and a and then getting the children to pick one out and sorting them into the correct sound mat or using play dough and letter mats to make letter shape. It's very hard as we don't always have time to plan these activities and my manager has told me to do a phonic activity arraaaaggghhn

Brilliant that will be one of my ideas then. I just want to keep it simple, as with some activities some seem to be more popular then others. Another idea which I had planned but never got around to preparing was 3 letter words like cat with a picture and the some pegs with the letter sounds on for children to match with myself sounding out the sounds I.e C A T. Although they are going to school in Septembef some of their needs are quite different so it's trying to cater for all

Is this for a joint observation, or some other part of the inspection? Frankly I would steer clear of having activities that are planned just to impress the inspector...they have a very clear agenda, and are unlikely to be impressed. What ever you do, make sure it's clearly linked to the cohorts next steps and needs and interests. Keep it simple, and keep it relevant. Your normal interactions with the children are far more likely to reveal the sort of evidence the inspector is looking for than an artificial exercise.

• Like 2

In our setting we do group work and split them up into ages. So I've been told to work with the school leavers to do maths and literacy I.e phonics so each day I have to think and plan an activity so I've been doing a bit of counting, number matching and name recognition but I'm running out of ideas. Personally I don't think it's working as as like you said it's not meeting all their next steps. Hence why I'm struggling, some children need to develop listening and attention before the phonics, some PSED so just sitting for group work and taking turns. So planning an activity and engaging 8 children with different needs is quite difficult which why I'm trying to keep it simple. The other day I had items in a bag and just described them for children to guess and then clapped out the syllables of the word once they had guessed correctly. I've had no phonics or letters and sounds training so trying to think new ideas which are inclusive for all and keeping them interested!!!

I know a lot of them struggle with rhyming words and it was very difficult to engage them all with a rhyming book some children got it and others were just oblivious

We did a daft thing today ...we were talking about drawing and we had straws out so we did 'strawing' (one of the children's jokes not mine!) so the children wrote their initial sound in their names (links to some other things we have been doing) then we cut pieces of straws (great fun as they ping off!!) and stuck them around the letter.

make sure that whatever you do it is linked to their learning and what you have been doing before!

good luck