Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Joint inspections

skippy

Skippy - our recent inspection included the dreaded Joint Observation - really don't panic - I sat with the Inspector and we observed a member of staff run an activity - I was allowed to chose when we did it so obviously selected a member of staff I was confident could cope with the situation. We had also spent time in staff meetings talking about this scenario and had an activity planned for the visit. The inspector was purely assessing my ability to assess my staff - the staff member was excellent and I did struggle to find anything to comment on but there was one minor point which we both picked up on and that was sufficient. Highlight the positives and try and find a negative if you can but honestly it really is not as bad as it sounds.

Yes, I agree- find a member of staff who isn't likely to be terrified, but don't choose your best/most experienced/highest qualified, as you might not have much to say about how you could support this member of staff to develop their skills, etc. As hopeytg says, it's about your skills as a leader.

I found once the staff realised that actually the pressure of the observation was more about me as the manager rather than the actual staff they were a lot more relaxed.

I picked up on a few very simple things that I felt could have added to the activity, which the inspector agreed with.

Definitely a lot worse thinking about it than actually doing it. :1b

Had a very similar experience to Louby Loo - if I could say anything at all it would be to not to try to create an observation specifically for the purpose of the joint ob! We used our welcome time, a short period just before snack time when we all sing hello to each other and then either do a short group activity or split into two smaller groups depending on the developmental range of the children. In this way the children were very used to taking part in an activity at that time and the staff were able to treat it is part of the daily routine!

I chose a staff member who i knew was confident and wouldn't fluster too much, we didn't plan an activity, myself and the inspector just turned up in the room when we were ready, sat together watching the staff member do her usual stuff, only lasted for a couple of minutes and then the inspector asked me what i thought was good and what could be improved on, she showed me some descriptors on her laptop (think they were taken from the inspection handbook, available on the gov website) and asked me which one i thought was the best fit, she agreed with me. was over very quickly and the staff member told me after that although she felt nervous, it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. I had also told staff beforehand that it was about me and not them.