Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Broken Wrist

kristina

Hi

I think I know what to do just want to check! We had a child trip over their own feet yesterday in the classroom and land on their wrist. A member of staff asked them if they where ok (child has selective mutism so reliant on body language), child nodded but rubbed wrist. A cold compress was applied but no bruising, child played all day had lunch etc and seemed fine. Mum informed when she picked up, mum rung this morning to say that child had seemed fine yesterday using wrist etc but this morning it appeared swollen so she was taking them to A & E. She has rung this afternoon to say it's broken and child has a soft cast!! Obviously we are all shocked as it was literally a trip in the classroom, am I right in thinking I have 14 days to report to Ofsted, LA, Riddor and insurance? I have asked all staff to complete an accident/incident form which I intend to share with mum on Monday, the floor has been checked and its fine, there where no toys in that area and lighting is good so they did just trip over their own feet!! Any advice please. Thank you

Share with mum on Monday? I would have written this up in my accident book immediately and given the parent a copy to take away. So if that's not your usual practice, best get on it right away? But yes, inform all bodies and do it right away.................phone them tomorrow morning and tell them your written report will be with them by registered post within 48 hours. I put every accident in my book, no matter how innocent it might seem......you must always cover yourself ( I CAN bore you with the WHy.........but i'm sure you've heard my tale before, so I won't go into it.)..........but write, write, write. two minutes worth of writing just covers you.

Hi

We did give mum our normal accident slip when she collected, but now obviously after a visit to the hospital I have classed this as an incident and asked staff to record exactly what happened, how they dealt with it etc (much more in depth than our accident form for parents). Obviously we haven't seen mum to share this report with her as child isn't back until Monday. We always record and provide a copy of any accident/incident but this one needed more in-depth as a hospital visit has since taken place. Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

Riddor will not want to know unless there was a problem with the environment ! (I know this to be the case as we had an issue before Christmas!) I have always said ring riddor but the woman I spoke to was really off and basically told me to go away!!!!!! I think this may have changed very recently so feel free to ring them...but be prepared! Ofsted gave me no accident number but did give me a receipt for the information, Insurance company needed all the child's details and the parents in case they claimed against us (we knew they wouldn't) The biggest issue we had was that the accident involved our scooters and ofsted suggested getting rid of them ...our LEA however said this was ridiculous as long as we had risk assessed them and were happy!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I've looked on Riddor and there is a five page online form so will complete that. I've spoke to mum a couple of times on phone and she is fine, said she was going to leave it but due to it starting to swell thought she should get it checked. Will get onto relevant bodies tomorrow first thing, we've looked at the area and there was no toys on the floor, carpet is good no rips/tears and the lighting is good so the child literally tripped over their own feet!! Never had an incident like this so just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything.

we also has a genuine accident! child was scooting (dry /clear deck/no obstacles) fell to one side bumping the back of his thigh. Cried and said he'd hurt himself.....no marks/swelling or visible signs....but his temperature went up ! he broke his femur in a spiral fracture....ended up in traction! :o :huh: :unsure: :wacko: :blink: :(

Please don't read this and think oh it'll never happen to me.....accidents DO happen!

P.s. I did ring riddor they really didn't want to know! I'll be interested to see if they note your info!

Just an update about Riddor, I completed the online 5 page form as helpline is for serious or fatal incidents (that's what they told ne when i called). However the form really isn't relevant to the incident however i completed and submitted and a copy came through to my email. On the form at the end it says the casualty was taken straight to hospital from the scene (they didn't go to following day), when i called again I was told in no uncertain terms that i didn't need to report as its only if the person is taken straight to hospital from the setting! So not sure what happens with the form i submitted that says child went straight to hospital when they didn't.

Ofsted email back 48 hours after my email with a receipt number and said they would be in touch if they needed any further information. The haven't asked for copies of forms or anything so i'm assuming this is the end of it!!

• 4 weeks later...

This must be very worrying, it is never nice to hear about these accidents. That is all it was though, if like you mentioned, all was well in the setting, and this child simply fell over their feet. It happens unfortunately and little wrists can break :( - but this wasn't classed as serious and is simply an accident. It wasn't even an incident, although better to be safe and do all the paperwork for any future notes just in case.

This is the pressures of looking after children these days! We feel like criminals if a child falls over and hurts themselves :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)