Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recruiting staff

Am I the only one who has problems recruiting staff!

I have heard other settings say they have had trouble getting good level 3s but I would have thought I might have had more joy recruiting a senior as you don't see senior positions come up very often!

Up until now I have been very lucky my staff have stayed with me a long time but they are starting to move on,

So I am pretty new to advertising it seems most of it is done online now

Ive tried Friday Ad and Indeed

Does anyone use agencies? Is that the way to go now?

• Like 1

I have used indeed and also during one recruitment I could afford (time wise) to support a newly qualified so contacted local college and explained asking if they would like to pass details onto potential applicants, basically head hunting. They did choose 2 students and we appointed one of them, this was last May though so after they had finished course, so timed well.

I'm trying to recruit 2 for the end of January, the thing that worries me most is that by the time I've run an adequate recruitment campaign from advert to interview the person you want then has to give a notice period (6 wks in some cases) I can see me being 2 staff down until after feb half term with me covering one but I can't be 2 and no ratio manoeuvre room either .......panic is setting in :,-(

Our LA has a childcare job site where we can advertise jobs with no charge and people looking for work can register their details. I have used job centre plus but ended up with loads of unqualified and unsuitable applicants.

• Like 2

I'm trying to recruit 2 for the end of January, the thing that worries me most is that by the time I've run an adequate recruitment campaign from advert to interview the person you want then has to give a notice period (6 wks in some cases) I can see me being 2 staff down until after feb half term with me covering one but I can't be 2 and no ratio manoeuvre room either .......panic is setting in :,-(

Same here! Recruitment has been making me panic for the past year as I am about to have my 5th member of staff go on maternity leave and haven't covered her. On Friday, a sixth told me she is "trying for a baby" and it was all I could do not to say "Are you kidding me?" :o Don't worry, I said all the right things, how exciting, best of luck, let me know when you have any news. I've had no response from our latest ad. Maybe everyone thinks if you come to work here, you'll end up pregnant! ::1a

Edited by Stargrower
  • Like 2

I'm afraid I can't help all that much but if you're looking at advertising online check the websites as if you were looking for a job first. There are quite a lot of sites where in order for people to get any contact details or useful information for job vacancies they have to be a member and pay a subscription fee. It's infuriating if you're job hunting and I obviously can't speak for everyone but I would never pay.

Honestly though all the Early Years jobs I've applied for I've known about through word of mouth or by contacting settings directly and asking. I know this doesn't help you much but you could just try to spread the word. For example, maybe you could mention to some of your parents that you have a vacancy (point out requirements of course) and maybe someone appropriate will end up hearing about it? Or ask your staff to spread the word? If your setting has a facebook page you could put something on there?

• Like 1