Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small outdoor area - ideas?

We have quite a large outdoor area but it is mainly grass. This time last year the ground was hard but with the mild weather it's like an oil slick with the mud. The children have been slipping and sliding and I actually think it's a bit too dangerous to continue playing out there if it's going to be like this. We have a courtyard at the front which isn't ideal because it's small, there is a large ramp and stairs and a old adult sized pub-style garden table with benches. I'm thinking we could use this instead and offer free flow (which we currently can't) with four to six children. I need some ideas and a quick internet trawl has not given me much inspiration, does anyone have any websites / books they could recommend?

Thanks in advance...

I bought waterproofs few years ago...staff said too long to take on and off etc.....so I bought

artificial grass to replace the mudbath.....that was 10 years ago....needs to be replaced now, might go

with the soft surface thing but not sure how they fare in the winter...anyone out there have it ??

Mud kitchen was the key missing element in our outdoor area for our inspector - wouldn't except landlord constraints or the fact that we do planting of seeds for ch to take home.

It didn't end up as an action though presumably because it's not mandatory!

Really!!? :rolleyes:

with the soft surface thing but not sure how they fare in the winter...anyone out there have it ??

Our soft surface is fine in the spring but gets really slippery when there is the slightest hint of frost and positively dangerous when it's snowy. Because it is getting on it tends to be more sticky in the summer and some of the granules are breaking off.

I'm not a fan of the granular type we have - could you have guessed? - and am looking to replace it with artificial grass!

(I also have had complaints about waterproofs and one child that freaks out at putting one on but always managed to get drenched somehow).

I did check out pinterest but it was all pretty permanent stuff and we'll have to pack away. I am thinking mud kitchen at bottom of ramp as barrier to stop them running, levelled out with two crates on one side and one on the other. Will investigate having table as den - good idea thanks; household instruments and guttering on trellis stands, small trim trail and scamble net on the ramp railings.

Thanks all.

We also struggle with outdoor play in a packaway setting where we have to set up and clear away each day, outside too. We have no shelter and can't have as its rented church premises and a listed building so no permanent structure allowed. When the weather is as wet as it has been, whatever we put out gets soaked and has to be put in the outdoor shed wet so gets ruined.I opened the shed after the break to find everything sodden and all the trays swimming in water. Must confess to closing the doors again but will have to tackle it this week!

We also struggle with outdoor play in a packaway setting where we have to set up and clear away each day, outside too. We have no shelter and can't have as its rented church premises and a listed building so no permanent structure allowed. When the weather is as wet as it has been, whatever we put out gets soaked and has to be put in the outdoor shed wet so gets ruined.I opened the shed after the break to find everything sodden and all the trays swimming in water. Must confess to closing the doors again but will have to tackle it this week!

Yep same here...leaking roof on the shed. Came to get the playdough tool box out and all the equipment covered in black gunk! yuk!! grrrrr..had to wash and disinfect! Not really got the time to be doing this first thing in the morning.