Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

MUMPS :(

narnia

Have had a case of mumps reported today...............amongst other things, I phoned one of mums whose child is off poorly, just to let her know, and guess what??? yes, TWO cases of mumps. haven't heard of it in years and both children have been fully inoculated. Hope I don't get it,; it's one of the few childhood illnesses i haven't had.....

How odd that they have contracted it despite being inoculated?

I had mumps as a child, i remember being gutted because it meant I couldn't play Daddy Bear in the school play my brother had it but one side came up at a time meaning he had double the time off school.

I'm not sure of the implications of getting it as an adult are, I know chicken pox is nasty when you are an adult.

We had a case a couple of years ago in a child who had been immunised. He had it very mildly but the doc said it was definitely mumps.

I had it as a child. My sister had it and I have to confess, I got her to lick me so I could catch it and stay home from school with her. It worked! Eeeeeew!

• Like 2

I think it's worse for male adults?

A friend of ours had it couple of years back-and he was quite poorly with it.

He was fuming because he rang Drs - told " Do not come here! Go straight to the NHS walk-in centre" fair enough.

Went to walk-in .

Him ( goes quickly to reception) "I think I have mumps and have been told to come here'

R - takes details, say "sit and wait to be seen"

H- 'where ?'

R ' there...' and points to a full waiting room full of children and other sick/vulnerable people

H 'should I not sit somewhere alone?'

R 'just sit and wait there!'

H, looks around again and says 'But it's mumps?? how about I wait outside, and you contact me when it's my turn?'

R (getting annoyed) 'IF YOU WANT TO BE SEEN -WAIT THERE!!!, If you leave the building YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN!'

When he finally get seen over an hour later.. HE gets told off for sitting in the waiting room!

He did complain big time, and the walk-in centre is now closed :unsure:

It IS worse for adults..and especially males. My children all had it years ago and then hubby got it. lets just say he couldn't wear anything on his nether regions for a couple of weeks ( the swelling was horrendous!) and he was in pain for ages afterwards........but i have never had it. Inoculaion doesn't necessarliy prevent the illness, it just means it might be milder if you do get it. My oldest son caught whooping cough after his second jab for it. Terrified the life out of me and he ended up in hospital. I do not fancy getting mumps :(

One of our children at pre school got it a few years ago, having had no innoculations, which was quickly followed by measles! The parents by this time had separated, but it had been dad who did not want his daughter to have the MMR at the usual time, which fair enough, but perhaps he should have considered paying out for single injections.