Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning and next steps

I am after some advice please.

How do you all do your observations, assessment and planning with next steps just in simple terms.

We have had a bad ofsted and the LA have got involved and have made me feel like I don't have a clue.

We use ABC does forward planning sheets, we then add ideas onto continuous provision document, we highlight names to ensure all children are included. We look at the gaps in tapestry and then plan activities to support the achievement of next steps, obviously being aware of the whole child.

Please help

?

We make snapshot observations, longer ones when needed. These then go into the LJ. Once a term we also do a progress tracker for each child. We get our next steps from the information gained from these as it is easy to see where development may be lacking, or just by day to day interests or needs. Hope this makes sense! We usually have three next steps for each child per month/two months. This works for us, but everyone is probably very different. I have our planning down to the bare minimum at the moment, not quite sure that we will stick with this. Each key person writes up their children's next step, then we have a column for ideas to incorporate these, with activities written down to do, then a column with in the moment planning which is filled out as the learning happens. Am currently working on a CP plan.

I don't think I have explained what we do well, all children come in with an All about me sheet, we allow a couple of weeks of settling, taking observations during this time. All key persons use a forward planning sheet to ensure that ideas planned are from the child and not the adult like they were last term. So for instance last term role play would have been a cafe "because we haven't had one for ages" this term children have asked for the doctors set, which has then led to more children playing which because we wrote this down a doctor's surgery was then planned the following week.

As the observations build up, gaps appear on our trackers, these gaps become the next steps. Staff then plan adult led activities in their key groups and then plan activities to go into continuous provision.

I don't like planning.

• Like 3

Yes absolutely feeling really vulnerable. I have one two members of staff that struggle, one would make a lovely dinner lady!

One child she observed gave her concern, she honed in on this and went through everything, key folder, next steps, plans the lot. She was wasn't happy with next steps and learning journal of one child, spoke to key person and then dug more - looked at supervision folder and then felt that practice was inconsistent, planning teaching and assessment wasn't strong enough.

Supervision hasn't been strong enough for this staff member, but it has been so difficult.

it is difficult when you have staff that aren't passionate, how do you encourage, support and model practice when they aren't interested?

• Like 1

I'm so sorry that you've been through this, it is so demoralising, especially when you feel you are doing your very best for the children. Your planning sounds fine to me, and quite similar to ours and probably hundreds of other settings. I think sometimes once an inspector latches on to something, it can all unravel. If you have staff who are not strong enough to hold their own and show the inspector that they are meeting children's needs, then you can end up without the outcome you were hoping for.

Perhaps in the aftermath of the inspection you should either have a team meeting or individual supervisions to find out whether your staff want to continue in their roles and if so, set some tough but achievable targets?

• Like 4

Yes absolutely feeling really vulnerable. I have one two members of staff that struggle, one would make a lovely dinner lady!

One child she observed gave her concern, she honed in on this and went through everything, key folder, next steps, plans the lot. She was wasn't happy with next steps and learning journal of one child, spoke to key person and then dug more - looked at supervision folder and then felt that practice was inconsistent, planning teaching and assessment wasn't strong enough.

Supervision hasn't been strong enough for this staff member, but it has been so difficult.

it is difficult when you have staff that aren't passionate, how do you encourage, support and model practice when they aren't interested?

Yes basically we fell short in this area too recently :unsure: so we are also in the process of trying to improve supervisions. We are trying to use the data that Tapestry can produce within our Supervisions, so for example if we find a certain group of children are not doing well withing Literacy then how can we improve this. As long as you have documented how you recognised this area of weakness and you have an Action plan to improve in this area.. and even better took steps to improve ie Training for the staff directly involved with this group, or added a "Writing Week" theme to the plan.. or added more resources to encourage Writing, reading whatever is required to improve the outcomes for children.

So basically it's how both staff and managers identify the weaknesses as a team, or where improvements would benefit children, and then Action Planned effectively to improve. i think if we can evidence this it would really help us :D

Just to add also, after reading more comments that you are only as strong as your weakest staff member! Ofsted require all staff to be consistent in how they improve outcomes for children. So they will read our "Positive Behaviour Policy" and then make sure all our staff are consistent in delivering it within the setting and this goes for many policies and procedures.

it really is not easy these days but once these things are in place and are being done daily it must seem simple right!!

• Like 1

pickles37 that sounds exactly what we had. We were outstanding and have gone to requires improvement. Its so difficult especially supervision. Ofsted kept saying I need to identify the weak areas and mentor the staff. Regarding our planning it was much the same as you. We are moving to tapestry to hopefully solve the assessments problem. Hopefully it will all become much clearer but you do start questioning your self.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your supportive comments!! I was and still am feeling very disappointed!

I am at the point where staff will be asked if they want to continue in their roles and set tough targets.

I just don't know how to record all this and then monitor it.

Thank you for all your helpful and encouraging comments. Xxx

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)