Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas cards

Rea

This has been put onto our playgroups facebook page as a 'Great idea for greeting cards if you have a baby or grandchild'.

I'm absolutely struggling to understand why anyone connected to our group would think it appropriate so I need some fabulous ideas I can put on to counteract this blatant slide into the 1990s.

https://www.facebook.com/Delilah/photos/a.420491190336.193818.276802375336/10152111833040337/?type=3

I'd look for myself but you lot are SO much better than me :rolleyes:

We did the little pine cones in bottle tops a few years ago - the children could do them easily and they looked really sweet.

We try and do a card, a calendar and a decoration of some sort.

Cards-This year we have done leaf printing as the base. (smug alert - we have done these already over the last 3-4 weeks)

I have to admit that bit did turn out more adult led than we hoped as we used ferns- but we managed to make it about the printing process and looking at the actual ferns and other stuff that we had collected on a woodland walks.

Just before Christmas they will 'embellish/decorate' the prints however they want, and I guess some will probably stay as they are!

The calendars are just made from various artwork the children have done during the autumn term - for some it might be one of their first paintings at preschool, sometimes its a nice drawing they forgot to take home at end of session

The decorations are usually a selection of various crafts done in December - So they end up with a minimum of one decoration- and obviously some children end up making a whole tree full!!

I've just seen some nice wreath type creations using a washing up brush on pinterest that we might try on paper plates as I think our current lot would like that.

We (try!) and keep the creations and they get a bag (that they have decorated themselves) of goodies on party day.

Last year I scrounged some great pieces of offcuts from Christmas trees from the local garden centre. The children squeezed glue all over them and then ran them through a tray of glitter and pieces of glittery tinsel paper. They then poked them into pieces of damp oasis block. Adults then put them into weighted down christmas paper cups. They looked great.

• Like 2

This year I've seen a nice idea for a tea light holder I have been collecting small glass jars (I know, but I'm sure it will be fine) The children will be supervised using Sharpie pens to colour in/decorate the jars with - looks a little like stained glass. and then we will put in battery tea lights, 4 for £1. at Hobbycraft at the moment - cheapest I've seen.

Although, today we have started the process for Divas using air drying clay, so children might not be too fussed about the Christmas one!

Ahem - why are we using the c word - not allowed yet - it is October :rolleyes:

My apologies Sunnyday, I completely understand and I wouldnt normally think of Christmas until Dec 15th, but after seeing the Reindeer christmas card idea on OUR playgroup page (posted by the deputy!) I wanted to post an immediate response and where better to come? :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

Does it need to be a christmas card? I know they would be a bit FD, but one year we took photographs of individual children's transient artwork and then they could stick that to a card if they wished. I seem to remember decorated gingerbread men made out of playdough, and christmas objects which they laid out on a tray anyway they wished were photographed, that type of thing.

No, not necessarily a card, but I know thats what they'll make along with other things because "this is what we always do". :rolleyes:

I dont care what they do so long as it cant have a Fluffy Duck label attached to it!

This year I've seen a nice idea for a tea light holder I have been collecting small glass jars (I know, but I'm sure it will be fine) The children will be supervised using Sharpie pens to colour in/decorate the jars with - looks a little like stained glass. and then we will put in battery tea lights, 4 for £1. at Hobbycraft at the moment - cheapest I've seen.

Although, today we have started the process for Divas using air drying clay, so children might not be too fussed about the Christmas one!

Don't buy all the lights up! We're thinking of sticking tissue paper on clear plastic cups- for similar type thing :1b

Nothing against glass - we did your other suggestion last year using the gú dessert pots. (haven't saved up enough this year xDxDxD