Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation and planning time

Hi Everyone,

What does everyone think is a reasonable amount of time per week to allow staff time to do obs (documenting) bearing in mind we use tapestry and activity plannnig for their key children per week?

Each key person in my setting has an average of 6 key children (only 1 member of staff has more than this currently) . I only ask for obs which are relevant, concise and if possible with a photo and were currently only open for 3 days a week? I was just wondering what everyone allowed ?

ours currently have 1 hour per week (uniterrupted non contact time), yet 1 member of staff consistently doesn't complete, i'm honestly unsure as to what she is doing as she always has a tablet in her hand (much to my dismay and constant reminder that i only want to see staff members with a tab during contact time if they're taking a photo)

She has 5 key children, and i only ask for 1 (relevant obs) per week!

• Like 1

Ours get 1 hour pay per week to do their obs - we use Tapestry, they complete their obs at home.

We have a 1.5hr (paid) staff meeting per week to do planning together

Do you have a policy re confidentiality that you get staff to sign as they have access to tapestry at home.

e.g not to be accessed with other people present, not on a shared or public computer etc?

This is an issue for us at the moment. Small setting with 6 keychildren each. We have paid planning/staff meeting for an hour every week. Staff were typing up at home -their choice to type rather than write. Much complaining and me constantly questioning the number they were doing. We are now focusing on observation for fewer identified next steps, one person typing all observations during session. This is me at the moment but will introduce on rota. I think this will help staff to get picture of others key children and help with planning. So no paid extra time and no work done at home! In theory -watch this space.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

SSSHHHH you lot ......mine don't get anything! they do learning stories at home (obs are done at work as is planning as a team)

we currently have 14 key children each!!!!! BUT I would have to say we do pay a reasonable rate of pay, in comparison to other settings so it is a bit of a swingometer!

• Like 1

I take your point on board Susan but we are using paper learning stories so what about poor handwriting, grammer and spelling? It does not reflect well on a setting to put it out to parents. There are some very good professional people who do a very good job and gained early years qualifications before the need to have qualifications in English or Maths.

How do others overcome this problem - if indeed it is a problem?

How do you do it Foreveryoung ? Mine still get 2 hrs a week and moan that it isn't long enough with Tapestry...the main issue seems to be cross referencing from Tap to DM sheets, still an expected part of our transition info.

I have slim lined the planning cut out all long obs and they focus only on meaningful observations other than that they get playing (oops sorry teaching lol) they then do twice a term data input where they input their professional knowledge of that child which helps keep the data in order as Tapestry and data don't get along with me so I found this an easier solution.

Staff do short obs and link a few DM's which they do in real time, however I go through and check spelling mistakes and my biggy Capital letters for names arghhh!!! so my part has increased but there's has decreased but hey happy team happy me.

For transition I print out snap shot and attach to front page of transition sheet and that's it. :)

• Like 3