Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Student instead of staff

Hi all

As many of you know, we are a very small setting and have just moved premises. On a Monday morning session we only have 3 children in. There is myself, my deputy and a level 3 student.

Currently, I am running the preschool at a loss and taking no money myself from the business.

My question is, could I cut my deputies hours and run on a Monday with myself, our student and a parent dbs checked volunteer?

Any advice welcome!

Would your Deputy be happy with that? Is she wanting fewer hours? What would happen if you were ill or unable to come to work - would she be able to cover for you? Does she have a contract that states her minimum hours?

• Like 1

If a student is long-term, they can be counted in ratios. However, I would be wary about doing it the way you have suggested. What happens if there's an emergency and you are elsewhere? Your deputy's contract would have to state that she'd need to be available on her days off in case she was needed...

Kic103. I understand that you are probably trying to build numbers on roll but could these 3 Monday children not join another session? Then when you have more interest in the setting you could open on Mondays again. I used to let parents pick and choose sessions but now 'guide' them to sessions that suit the business. Working at a loss is not fair to you.

• Like 2

When we started two years ago we had only 5 children on roll. I had one manager and a non quilified member of staff who was willing to start level 2 or 3. I contacted LA for advice and was advised to Risk assess the situation which I happily did. We were inspected two months later and the inspector didn't see it as a problem. I was on maternity leave but was able to provide emergency cover if needed. My then unquilified member of staff is Level 3 now. She is my rock!

We also asked parents to shift days. At first we were open Wed-Fri, now we open Tues-Fri. Slowly but steadily.

Have you considered to merge with another setting (temporarily)?