Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

coeliac

blondie

Have today received a registration form from a parent whose child will start with us in October - she has written on there that he is a coeliac (diagnosed by hospital)- never had this before-any ideas on what i need to do re this -forms,ways to support him etc.,

Hi, I'm a coeliac so very happy to help. You will need to be very aware of what you give at snack time, and make sure that you read the ingredient labels really well, looking for the allergens in bold. Visit the coeliac UK web page, where you will find a wealth of very useful information.

If the child stays to lunch, you will need to sit them near you, so you can be very aware of what they are eating, and not picking up someone else's crisps, for example. If you have a routine of birthday cakes, you will need to ask Mum to provide a treat for them, of if you have a freezer, you could get some Genius cupcakes and get them out as you need them. Mum will need to be very sure that your systems are completely robust, but you must tell her if you doubt anything the child may have eaten, as she will need to give Piriton urgently to allay symptoms.

With things like playdough, you can make these just as easily with gluten free Doves Farm flour, or Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury's own.

This may be the first time the child has been someone else's responsibility, and it is terrifying! More so than for the parent of a non-coeliac child. She is putting her trust totally in you, as I'm sure you are aware. Remember that it's not an allergy, it's an auto-immune condition where the body attacks itself. Make sure all your staff have a clear understanding of what is required, too.

• Like 3

Hi blondie.

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/home/

If you go on this web site it will have all information you will need. My son has coeliac which means he cannot have anything with gluten/wheat in it. He has to be careful with cross -contamination, so the same pans cannot be used to cook his food in. It will effect you, in that you will need to look at the food/meals you offer him, depending on what type of setting you are- full Daycare or Pre-school and how you prepare them. Things like Playdoh may have to be made with gluten free flour? I am sure Mum will have quite a bit of information hopefully already to discuss with you when he starts.

Hope that has been of some help

Cheers M

Hi cait - thank you so much for your help and advice.Mum did say when she came for a visit that it was being looked into and she would let us know when she did.

the children supply their own snack and lunch so no problem there - just need to make sure we clean the table thoroughly before he comes to the table and let him sit next to an adult to ensure he doesn't pick up others foods etc.,

will look into buying gluten free flour as know mum was worried he might use then have bits under his nails.

is there anything we need to look for - do i need to put up a care plan - it is noted on our register and hi lighted so all staff will be aware and will be reminded at beginning of sessions he is in.

Hi Manor -thank you for your advice - will look to download some information from there.

glad we do not have to supply food stuffs for him.

thank you both once again for your help -very much appreciated.

I would complete a care plan and risk assessments with parents to evidence your actions and changes to your practice to make sure the child is kept safe, and also include what symptoms they may show and what should happen if in contact with wheat/gluten.

As regards touching gluten containing things I'm ok. I can pass my daughter a bread roll or put her pizza in the oven for example, as long as I wash my hands afterwards, in case I then handle my own food. One of the conditions associated with coeliac disease is dermatitis herpetiformis which is a skin complaint brought on by contact with gluten, either by ingestion or constant handling of things like bread dough etc.

I do, however need to have very clean cutlery and crockery, so I rinse them really well in very hot soapy water and scrub. Things like baking tins etc are a no-no as tiny amounts of gluten can get into the seams. I have my own - luckily our whole house is GF, so no trauma of cross-contamination. You need to remember 'you can't be too careful'. If you unpack lunches for the children, unpack theirs first, don't handle a gluten thing before theirs. I suggest you get them a red plate or something as a visual obvious reminder.

Yes, make a care plan in conjuction with Mum, she will be only too relieved to know that you are taking her child's needs seriously. Also, I know it sounds daft, but check the ingredients list on things she DOES give the child; recipes change, and things can easily slip under the radar. She won't be upset if you phone her to check!

• Like 3