Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Top ten reads

Froglet

Mundia's comment in the Watchman thread got me thinking about what my top ten reads would be. I think To kill a mockingbird is definitely on there although I don't actually have own copy! Also, looking at my bookshelves I think that the ones I read most often and over again are not in the top ten. I read them because I can't 'not read' but much of the time I am too tired to tackle things with more thought involved.

I loved Of Mice and Men and A suitable Boy by Vikram Seth was just so satisfying even though it took me a month and I haven't read it again since! I'm going to contemplate what else might be on my list.

I might try to make a list... will be difficult to choose, though!

Know what you mean. I once asked a friend who is the most well and widely read person I knew for her suggestions of books that she thought were must reads or had given references that many people knew. This was after a conversation with another friend where he'd used the phrase 'doublethink'. She came up with a list of 132 - I was embarrassed to realise I'd only read 9 of them! Reading more is part of my long term to do list!

• Like 1

Depends on mood I think, although 'mockingbird' will always feature there.

For another blast from my past and still makes me laugh I'd go Hitchikers Guide...All of them.

For a deep 'thinking' read I'd go for 'The glass bead game' by Herman Hesse... not a light read but well worth it.

I think 'Gone with the wind' has to be up there too, and I also hold a special place in my heart for 'Watership down'.

Oh and 'winnie the pooh'

I think they would keep me going on the desert island anyway

• Like 1

I LOVE GWTW! It has always been one of my most favourite books. I think I was about 16 when I first read it and then saw the film in my early 20's and wasn't disappointed. I watched it again in the Easter holidays with my g/daughter, who thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not sure this is a top ten read but thought it worth a mention. A friend has just had his first book published. So a bit of shameless publicity for him.

The book is called "How to get to the Top" by Dick Lannister. and it is a spoof How to guide. Friend has a fantastic sense of humour so am expecting it to be a funny book. Available from Amazon.

But somewhere near the top of my list is Jamaica Inn. Haven't read it in a while but I remember the first time I read it not wanting too but the story was so unexpected. More recently Life of Pi has still got me thinking.

I'd forgotten about Hitchhiker's! Also, for me I think Day of the Triffids. Or can one item just be 'things written by John Wyndham '? I love Crysalids and Midwich Cuckoos too.

Ooh, John Wyndham!

Have you read "Report on Probability A" ? I really loved it, but I suspect it's not for everyone....

S xx

Aaah, ahem

That would be because it's by Brian Aldiss. Sorry to all confused parties. Getting overexcited, I'm afraid. But I also really like Mr Wyndham!! 'The Kraken Wakes', anyone??

S x