Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

development matters reading help

what would you be looking for when assessing if a chld is demonstrating this statement?

• Beginning to be aware of the way stories are structured (30-50 band)

thanks!

I would be listening to children tell storied. Do they realise beginning middle & end.

Some children might start with once upon a time before the start to talk or finish with "the end"

Little girl this week " happily ever after"

I know modern stories don't necessarily have these so children may not know these classic phrases but you can generally tell if child realise there is a beginning and end to a story.

My interpretation.

We make up stories together, first establishing the 'who', 'where' and 'when' before the 'what'. For some children we need to give suggestions for the last two. Then we go around, encouraging the children to add a part to the story line. The adult leading says 'How does the story begin?' and 'How does it end?' We summarise occasionally, to keep all engaged, and say 'What happened next? and so on. For assessments, we listen to how they contribute and ask questions about the story we made.

actually thinking about previous responses....does this mean to others that if a child cannot speak they are unable to do this? or would you consider putting pictures in to the correct order would also confirm your assessment?

[...] does this mean to others that if a child cannot speak they are unable to do this? or would you consider putting pictures in to the correct order would also confirm your assessment?

I think it depends on which level of understanding of stories you are looking for - if only the beginning-middle-end aspect or also the who-where-when aspect (characters, setting and time).

The sequencing part of the structure is clear to me (including the what if, why, what might happen), but what about identifying main characters and setting of story (who, where and when) - do they need to be able to identify that as part of the structure?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)