Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS checks for regular visitors

Hi

I have a physio that has asked to come in and work with a child on a regular basis in a 1:1 situation ( as home is small and not a suitable environment. Some will be done in the main hall as lots more room but some in a 1;1 quiet area away from the main room). She and another physio will be coming in once per week for an hour to do exercises etc for about 10 weeks. Would you ask about DBS details to go on your central record?

I did and she said she had one but had never been asked for it before. She has now referred me to her HR department to speak to them.

What details do you keep on your central record for DBS? (just ant to check that I have the right thing)

Any thoughts?

Hi, I add name, cert number, issue date & issuing body (the same details I keep for all staff), I'd want to see original and check update service or it wouldn't be acceptable in your setting anyway, is this person attached to your county/hospital working with the child or a private physio the parents have hired ? I'm not sure I'd be happy with the proposed situation if it was the later.

I think you are right to request DBS details. Not being asked before says more about the places she has been than your setting! You are responsible for that child whilst it is in your care. Also if she only has a CRB check could you ask for that to be updated as they are not portable?? I record same details as Mouseketeer.

Surely the employers of the physio should have procedures in place for this situation. Can you afford staff to chaperone?

Hi. They are not hired by parents but from the hospital. I record 5he same details as you so I know I am right about that then. I am new manager and i was doubting myselfwhen they said of course they had checks but had never been asked before. I will be talking to their hr and they too said they would talk to them. Hopefully this is not going to be a problem?!!!!