Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How do you become an Early Years Teacher?

I am leaving nursery this year and my senior nursery nurse wants to make a bid for running our school nursery , which she has run before, when you didn't need a teacher in there. So she is a level 3 nursery nurse, paid at the top of the scale as she has worked at the school in nursery for about 18 years. She does not have A levels or a degree. If she said she was willing to become an early years teacher, how would she do that? Is that qualification enough for running a school nursery??

I think I am correct in saying you currently don't need an Early Years Teacher, Level 3 with 2 years experience is sufficient. But if she does want to do the EYTT, you can do a Foundation Degree and then go onto the full degree. This is the route I took as I had no A levels.

Maintained nurseries do need a teacher.

I'm not sure even if she had EYPS or the new EYT NOW whether a school nursery would take her on. That would be a long road ahead of her before she got the degree!

When we were ofsted'd about 4/5 years ago the inspector was going to fail us because I ran the schools afternoon nursery and I was not a qualified teacher.

Our afternoons were run as private though, and for the children and parents it was just yo afford them a choice of sessions and some flexibility.

Once she realised the afternoon children were not on the school SIMS it clicked with her.

I was doing my early years degree and EYP at the time!

Even if an EYT was acceptable it is not a short term goal, she would need to do a Foundation degree in early years first.. and I think these days you have to have GCSE in English, Maths and science so would take years to achieve it..

I see.I think she wouldn't mind how long it took. It would depend on whether the HT would give her that time and allow her to be in charge of Nursery whilst doing the course. Couldn't she be overseen by the Reception teacher, for example???

She could potentially be employed as a teaching instructor if appropriate for the needs of the school but the guidelines for putting an instructor in place is if no qualified teacher is available to lead the class. I think it would be at the discretion of the HT, governing body and the LEA. I worked as a teaching instructor in a pre school and reception class but was overseen by the headteacher.

A school (maintained) nursery class must have a teacher.

Cx

I thought that the government changed things so that schools are allowed to employ non qualified teacher status people to teach in schools. Am I wrong on that?
  • Like 1

You do not have to have a teacher in a school nursery,I am a manager in a school nursery and are level 3 and Ofsted have said this is fine!

Is there anything in writing anywhere that says this, that I can show my HT to reassure her.

I work in a school nursery but if it is maintained nursery, you absolutely DO need a qualified teacher.

I have a BA (Hons) a first and EYPS and I still could not run the nursery in the school until it was no longer classed as maintained. It is now "private" but run by the governors of the school. Now I can run it.

Our local LA said that if we were setting up a new school nursery it would have to have a teacher but as it is already run by a level 3 when it became part of the school it wS absolutely fine , I suggest you contact your lA

Our local LA said that if we were setting up a new school nursery it would have to have a teacher but as it is already run by a level 3 when it became part of the school it wS absolutely fine , I suggest you contact your lA

Thank you. What does IA mean?

It's all clearly laid out in the eyfs statutory framework.

In a maintained school nursery you must have a qualified teacher who has qts.

In a free school or academy or independent school you can employ anyone.

In a school with a "nursery" that is separately registered, albeit managed by the governors then you have the qualification ratios for that, but it isn't technically a school nursery class in the same way. See scarletangel's comment.

In a maintained nursery school you must have qts teachers in each class. However if they have registered under 3s for example they can be managed in the same way as any other registered setting.

When they remove the need for schools to register under 3s then there will be some adjustments I expect, but until then any school class from 3yrs up must have a school teacher as defined in the education act.

CX

• Like 1