Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Medication...

JJA

I have had a couple of children receive insect bites whilst outside, one of whom had a bit of a reaction to it (raised, hot red all across half of his face.) If he was my boy at home I would have given him some anti-histamine and kept a close eye on him, but here at nursery we don't keep anti-histamine unless it has been given to us by the parents. therefore, as a precaution, we sent him home.

Anyway, here is my question...

Do any of you keep anti-histamine on site and use it in a similar way to your own policies on paracetemol? (btw: I know how different everyone's views on temperatures/calpol/sending home are!)

If not, what is your policy on an insect bite/nettle rash etc?

Many thanks.

No, we don't keep anti histamine cream or liquid on site. We would use a cold wet cloth and contact parent/carer who would either come and collect if need be, or advise something else. Having said that, there are dock leaves you can rub on for nettle rash, and apparently rubbing a bar of soap can help insect bite. Neither of which should cause problems, I wouldn't have thought.

We keep piriton on site and have permission slips for known allergic children. In other cases such the one you had we have phoned the parent and got permission to administer. (I know its not PC but in my opinion we are there to care for the children and as long as the parent is happy we go ahead). It would actually be worth us asking the parent to email permission to cover ourselves (will add to the 'to do' list)

we didn't mainly because it is possible to have a reaction to any antihistamine..( topical gives me a rash), and oral can cause hyperactivity in some.. it did my son..

But .. if you feel the need with correct permissions and all in writing it could be acceptable .

Wouldn't do this I'm afraid as it assumes you are qualified to diagnose that the spots are a reaction to bites rather than anything else! Happy to give if in medicines book and indeed have 3 who have this sort of medication on site.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)