Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Working with family

Ok I have a 17 year old daughter who is interested in childcare (don't do it I said!!), I own my Pre-school and we are considering taking on an apprentice. So does anyone else have family working for them? Does it work? Would obviously like to provide her with an opportunity, and also realise I would need to possibly make some changes, for example having my deputy mentor her not me, also any supervision meetings/appraisals carried out by my deputy.

What do you all think?

I have my niece and years ago I had my sister work for me, but i think it todapends on the individual and your relationship with each other as if she is likely to not listen and respect your authority it won't work. It can be done but then I've seen it also go wrong x

my daughter started working with me 7 years ago!!! (and i'm still talking to her!) . Most of the time it works really well ..sometimes go in to overdrive and the rest of the family tell us to shut-up about work!

Couple of things i would say ....my daughter sort of fell in to the job as a way of recuperating from chronic fatigue. If i was doing it now i would have given her a proper interview etc . Whilst she was training my deputy was her mentor, we can now manage supervisions and appraisals between us but i tend to ratify things through my deputy still.

I love working with her (dont tell her that!!) and i know she will say what i would say...we have days when things get a bit weird and i know if she wants something because she suddenly calls me Mum rather than by my name! xD

I'm sure it has caused some of the staff a bit of stress but no more than any other member of staff

Thank you for the replies, I am hoping as i spend a lot of time completing paperwork she will be answerable to my deputy on a daily basis. I do have a couple of members of staff that are likely to think it a bad idea, however they think everything is a bad idea so no change there!! Have a feeling finsleymaid that 'mum' will be commonly used as can't see her getting used to calling my by my name!!

I think she got fed up trying to explain to the children so im usually called by name! We chose who to tell outside of the setting...sometimes it is helpful/needed but most of my parents have no idea she is my daughter...we like it that way then they feel free to moan or praise as they want!

• Like 1

My daughter looks so much like me i think everyone will guess :D. Now I just have to decide level 2 or level 3, she has 6 GCSE's including Maths/English, however she is just finishing a level 2 in Horse Care and Management, so nothing to do with childcare!

mine looks like me too....but people rarely guess until someone says oh well yes of course she's HER daughter! :oxD and when it comes to horse management i have a few children who are as stubborn as a mule at the moment so maybe that would be helpful :rolleyes: personally i would always encourage level 3 now...dont really see the point in level 2 :ph34r:

• Like 1