Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Risk Asessment

RedDragon

Nothing wrong with sparce if it covers everything you check for on arrival and setting up. The trouble with adding too much is that it becomes onerous to do and time consuming. You could break it up so one member checks outside, another does the kitchen and toilets and others do the main room. Mine was a tick list that was a simple walk through.

• Like 1

Mine is exactly as Cait describes a tick list we take it in turns each morning before children arrive to complete it.

It's very unique to each setting as we all have differing things to check some of our things are - making sure chairs are stacked facing the wall, toilets have paper towels and toilet rolls, door stop, mobile telephones in box, setting phone is out of cupboard and switched on, then there's the socket covers (if you use them!), floor mats aren't curled up, first aid box, then outside gates are locked etc ......

it's a long list but I would say very unique to our setting

No trialling electricity wires, heating on if needed, windows open if needed. No hazards in the way of parents/children entering. All choking hazards, scissors etc. out of reach whilst children are circulating with a lower level of supervision, whilst everyone is arriving. Things like that really.

• Like 1

For our daily checks, we have a laminated sheet and a dry wipe pen. Check, tick, sign, date. Then the next day, wipe it off and start again! Saves the paper mountain building up. :1b

But this way you don't have a paper trail of checking. Do you record your check and any findings somewhere? A daily diary or log book? That's what they want to see

We do the same, wipe clean, when we were inspected Ofsted just want to see we risk assessed daily, the didn't ask to see any past records. I think if you show it is part of your daily routine and done properly they don't need to see you have done it every day for the past 3 yrs.

• Like 1

But this way you don't have a paper trail of checking. Do you record your check and any findings somewhere? A daily diary or log book? That's what they want to see

It has always been fine with Ofsted. They want to see that we are keeping children safe. Each room (we have three) has their own list plus one for outside. They can see that we have done the checks, it has that day's date on it, has been signed off and if they asked that member of staff, she would be able to say what we do and why, then they are happy. We do have more comprehensive risk assessments that we do periodically, but for everyday it's wipe and refill. If there are problems it is recorded but this rarely arises.

The difference between inspectors again. I was told there needed to be a proper list that would show each day properly to prove a check was done in the event of a problem. I just had a laminated list for the week at that point too and dry wipe pen

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)