Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

how much progress shpuld a child make in a term?

How much progress would you expect a child to make in a term?

Just having a disagreement with my co manager over a child. She put him at secure in July at 40-60 to numbers and I kept him there in December as don't feel I can confidently say he can do it all. She's arguing that no progress has been made and that 0.8 is not good enough for a term and that they should all be making a min of 1. This child is very gifted in numbers and is nearly 4.

• Like 1

My co manager believes that they should make at least one band per term otherwise were failing them. She has saw massive jumps in her 2 year olds. On average 1.96 but my preschoolers have made 0.8 and she said it's not good enough!

Hi Sazzj, I am not clear on your points, 0.8 etc. What do these stand for?

Certainly in the numbers strand I think its about depth, I have seen so many children ticked off for the 40-60 band without some really important skills, such as counting from a larger set (ie knowing when to stop!), counting a range of things including sounds.actions etc, recording their own maths, and using mathematical ideas in their play (problem solving bit). And even if they are very confident within that band, there is still a bit leap to the ELG for number.

This is where the need for internal moderation is required. A thorough discussion about what you what to see within each age band would enable judgments to be sounds across the nursery.

Its also worth reminding her that children go at their own rate, they dont fit into a neat little box of an 'amount' of progress. Some will remain stable in one area of learning but then make huge strides in another, especially if you have been targettting that.

• Like 4

Its also worth reminding her that children go at their own rate, they dont fit into a neat little box of an 'amount' of progress. Some will remain stable in one area of learning but then make huge strides in another, especially if you have been targettting that.

So true, I've just got home from parents evening and found myself saying to several people that their child has suddenly 'got' reading. There are at least 2 that I was really concerned about at the end of last term - couldn't seem to get grapheme recognition at all and certainly not blending. This term (just a few weeks later) they are two of my most secure readers and I can the possibility of one of them getting 'exceeding' in the summer.

TBH I have no idea how she got the 0.8 judgement. Her group made 1.96.

This is my argument exactly. Think we need to chat this out as a team.

Think it's because I refused to move him from secure to ELG last term so according to her adequate progress is not being made

gosh this child must be really gifted if she feels he has reached all of the maths goals at the age of 3......is he really at that level? That would mean you would need to teach him NC1 before he even reaches reception...are you set up to do that?

This is my argument. He's happy practicing and consolidaring what he knows. Which I think is important and applying it to his everyday use.

He is gifted in that he can count beyond 500. Knows less than and more than. can do basic addition and subtraction etc x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)