Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spring 1 theme inspiration

Hi,

I'm looking for some inspiration for our Spring 1 theme.

In my school, we are expected to have a named predetermined theme but in FS we keep it very broad and then do a Mindmap with the children to decide how they would like to approach the theme (e.g. this term it has been 'Magic and Sparkle' and the children have decided to learn about dragons, fairies, witches etc). It is an overarching theme and other mini-themes go on underneath as necessary for individuals.

However, I have never 'settled' on my Spring 1 theme. We usually do 'winter' but feel that I should tag something else to this as it can get limited. Last year, we tried 'clothes' which sort of worked but I don't feel very inspired by it this year.

Any ideas. I'm thinking maybe 'It's cold' or something where we can extend it into Polar animals etc but don't want to dictate too much what the children will learn about.

Thanks for your help,

Green Hippo x

could you do hot and cold -that could mean weather - what animals live in different climates how their colours are reflected in their environment and why - could do ice and melting/thawing - sunshine might mean you look at the sky - space - rockets, journeys - talk about the dangers of hot and cold - foods that are hot/ spicy and cold x

maybe the wrong direction but ideas x

I've not ever done hot and cold but did do fire as a theme when on one of my student placements (more years ago than I care to remember!) we did things like a visit to a fire station, painting and collage of fire, forest fires, cooking over a fire and I'm fairly sure Fire breathing dragons came in to it too!

• Like 1

How about keeping it broad and then seeing where the children take it. Something like 'change' for example which can certainly include winter, weather, early signs of spring. plants that flower early, clothes, myself, changes in the area eg buildings. I am sure children would have ideas when you do your mind mapping.

• Like 1

We have just had our playgroup planning meeting tonight and we are doing 'Winter and Frozen' as the children are obsessed! We have done the staff mind map (hoping for lots of snow here in Yorkshire!) and are talking to the children to get their input.

This is the first mind map we have completed (as staff and with children) as we have changed our planning to be broader and less specific to allow for more spontaneity; so we are just picking one focus activity per week and have a list of suggestions for table top, messy, water play etc... plus a 'back up' list of things we can enhance or use as provocations if the children need any extra input.

We are doing hot/cold, clothes, snow/ice, snowflakes/icicles, snowmen (Olaf!) and animals so far.

Finleysmaid - I love frosty fingers and toasty toes!!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)