Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tweak, tweak, next steps...

How and where do you record children's next steps? In a book, on a board, in a folder, on Tapestry...?

How do you use what you have written?

I am tweaking our planning (AGAIN!) and this is a bit of a stumbling block

Help! xD

On a piece of paper the key person has in their pocket available throughout the session, together with (but separately, under each child's name) statements of things we need to tune into during the session - that which we think a child may be able to do but are unsure of, e.g. take turns, use comparative language, balance with control, identify differences between objects, count to 20, orally blend CVC words etc. So the things which we think a child may be able to do and those that we know they can't but they almost do. Then we observe and provide opportunities, e.g. by initiating some balancing along a log or asking that child to check how many cups that have been put out.

Each of our children has a 'target card' on which are written 2 targets (next steps); basically we work on them whenever is appropriate - the key person is aware of the targets as is the child who will often ask 'can I do my target card?' The completed card is added to the LJ.

There is also a list of all children and their current targets as a reference point for other members of staff. This method works well for us.

Each of our children has a 'target card' on which are written 2 targets (next steps); basically we work on them whenever is appropriate - the key person is aware of the targets as is the child who will often ask 'can I do my target card?' The completed card is added to the LJ.

There is also a list of all children and their current targets as a reference point for other members of staff. This method works well for us.

the target card sounds like a lovely way to get children involved .... are next steps from prime areas or varied? and roughly how often are they changed? obviously when achieved, but approx how often is expected. is it possible to upload it for us to have a peek at?

The next steps are varied and yes, changed when achieved which could be monthly depending on how often the child attends.

They are generally eager to work on their targets and we give them a 'prize' for their achievement for each target. The prizes are simply the party bag type things like pirate telescopes or little note pads and pencils; sometimes we are given the free toys that you see attached to comics.

I am having major problems with my laptop at the moment and it's not letting me upload. I will try again later. I did put the target card on the forum a long time ago, so if you do a search you might find it.

Individual Target Card.doc

Individual Target Card.doc

Oops, it obviously uploaded ... now you have two! I'm sure someone will be along to delete one soon! If you print them off, you will need to print side one first then put the card back in for side two - unless you are clever and know of a more technical way!

thanks. i am going to use these!! i like the way you celebrate their successes with a little something. i know what you're saying wildflowers, but we do give stickers etc to motivate initially, then eventually children do seem to be proud of their achievements without needing extrinsic motivator! and with next steps seeming to be focused on by ofsted and ours due imminently, these are perfect, and anything to get parents involved is a bonus! and it would be a great way to get children involved in their own learning too, which is something i want to focus on this year x

devonmaid, do you tend to focus on prime areas to start, then maybe specific areas after christmas. ?

Edited by sooty99

thanks. i am going to use these!! i like the way you celebrate their successes with a little something. i know what you're saying wildflowers, but we do give stickers etc to motivate initially, then eventually children do seem to be proud of their achievements without needing extrinsic motivator! and with next steps seeming to be focused on by ofsted and ours due imminently, these are perfect, and anything to get parents involved is a bonus! and it would be a great way to get children involved in their own learning too, which is something i want to focus on this year x

devonmaid, do you tend to focus on prime areas to start, then maybe specific areas after christmas. ?

In all honesty, no - we just focus on what we think they need. When the children come to us at 3 years they are mostly able to focus on areas such as literacy and mathematics - many of our children (though not all) begin with recognising their own initial and reciting numbers, but it really does depend on the individual child; we take the next steps from the initial assessment which is done usually within the first 4 weeks unless the child has not settled in very well.

I'm glad you like the target cards - hope they prove successful for you!

Wildflowers - thank you for editing your initial post!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)