Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Distraction

Melba

Usually I am distracted from my own life by work worries and work to dos.

But today I have been distracted from work by looking at Ancestry.co.uk! Fascinating details about my grandparents going to New York in the 30s on lots of different liners.

May not even get back to the work today!

• Like 6

I made raspberry cupcakes with orange drizzle as mine! Family history is so fascinating. My mum has been going through old papers and records from her family and there's so much to see from fashions to facts about the price of flour (family business was a bakery) to terribly poignant - a letter written from my great grandpa to his son in the trenches 4 days after the son had died but before the family knew.

My moms cousin gave me some ancestry stuff a few years ago and I briefly looked at my dads side, turns out both sides had a lot to do with Aston, as staunch Birmingham City FC supporters it was a bit of a blow ;) I must take another look, my dad seems to think there was a murderer in the family in the 1800s

Guest sn0wdr0p

Froglet the cupcakes sound wonderful.

I have been to ikea to get new furniture for our reception area. Unfortunately I have decided that I need to re paint before it is fitted so that is every night this week taken up then. I did buy a beautiful peace lily plant which looks super in my lounge and a few more bits and bobs for my house. Spent a fortune in the end - as always.

I love family research, my husband and I have done both sets of parents. We thought there might have been famous smugglers on my mother-in-laws side but we couldn't find a link but we did spend a summer hunting through cornish cemeteries and found the final resting place of my husband relatives from 1795, my side was not so interesting, however I did find a great great great aunt called Fanny Crease which still causes a great deal of mirth in family circles.

My distraction this weekend has been the weather! I have spent a lot of the weekend sat reading in the sunshine, it certainly had made me relaxed and ready to face my last week before I close

Guest sn0wdr0p

Talking of THAT name; I tried to read the famous five stories to my 10 year old in the hope of getting him in to reading but every time I read about Aunt Fanny my 13 year old laughed hysterically which he then joined in with. Dick caused problems as well.

I have read somwhere that they have been rewritten with name changes but I have failed to find them anywhere.

I am going to read the Magic Faraway Tree to my out of school club and we are going to create a tree with fairy windows and doors that I have bought from Cosy. One of the girls in it is called Fanny - I see problems.ahead.

Guest sn0wdr0p

I can't resist it. We have a farming fortnight coming up in the summer holidays for both the nursery and out of school club and we are visiting a farm and a mobile farm is coming to us so of course I had to buy the soft toy pig and the toy farm. I spent over £100 more than I intended/needed to!