Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing 'Next Steps'

Hi everyone,

I am just after a bit if feedback on how settings write their Next steps for their children. We do them 3 times a year which we are happy with but it is an onerous task and it feels like we are setting targets for the sake of it! At the moment we set next steps for the under 2s in the Prime areas only but for the toddlers and pre-school children we do both Prime and Specific areas.

I am thinking to possibly cut it down to Prime areas only or alternate between Prime and Specific. Just wondering what everyone else does?

Thanks in advance

we write one next step for each child every two weeks (it can be changed if achieved in first week. They are smart targeted which means we can write the same sort of steps for all of our children including those with sen or salt

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

We encourage the children to recognise their names first then begin to trace their names if they want to.The fine motor skills are the starting point and I think these should be embedded so the children can hold their pencil correctly and make the correct movements - we use Write Dance for the first term - it is fun and the children enjoy the stories. We then start to explore the letter sounds and shapes in our Nursery, but even then we do not write them down until the Spring, we mostly get them to use "air writing" or make the shapes on the carpet with their fingers on in the sand/malleable trays etc. By the time Summer term comes most of them can write their name (although not all the letters are formed correctly) and the others will at least have a try at writing some letters in their name independently.

Hope this helps?

Edited by LOSINGTHEWILLTOLIVE

• 6 months later...

We use the next steps generated by tapestry to plan future activities. We also add next steps on each observation and either plan these are put on continuous planning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jakip

We use the next steps from tapestry to plan activities for the coming half term in each area. At start of each term new next steps are generated.

When I taught in Reception we still started with hand writing patterns and air writing before going on to formal handwriting. Remember a child won't be able to write lines and circles if they can't run in a straight line or circle so as always gross motor skills are really important. Also boys' thumb muscles generally develop later than girls so they are less likely to be writing their name before school. I think if you are going to be looking at writing an important thing is direction because although a letter may look right if the circle goes clockwise instead of anticlockwise this is really tricky to unlearn when it comes to cursive. Also some schools teach full cursive and others don't so that's an added complication. So that's a bit waffly but I'd say focus on patterns unless a child is ready and try to get direction embedded from the start.

I'd say focus on patterns unless a child is ready and try to get direction embedded from the start.

I have created sheets for patterns for practise and assessment of readiness to start writing. However, the county moderator/advisor wasn't keen on these.

Edited by Wildflowers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)