Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

child scratching

We have a 2 year old child with English as a Additional Language, who has started scratching the other children. The other parents as now starting to get really upset, I have completed a ABC chart to seeing if there are any triggers and at the moment there does not seem to be ( I know it must be somthing). The mother of the child biting is also getting really upset, does anyone have any information that I can give the mum about this being a stage that some children go through and they will come out or it and how they can help them at home.

Many thanks

WellerKaren

Just a really quick comment - should be working and not on here at all :blink:

For the child who is scratching - if nails are kept really, really short this will not be such an issue........I have had one of these in the past and it is distressing and I sympathise with parents whose children are on the receiving end.......

Hope someone comes along with more advice - I'm off! :1b

• Like 1

With the biting, assuming your child has no developmental issues, we had a child who would bite quite frequently when in a tussle over a toy or when not getting his own way, I googled it and compiled an information sheet to give to mum about how to handle this type of behavior as she had previously told me she was going to bite him back! ( yikes) we had to manage him in preschool by keeping a really good eye on him and had to intervene quickly every time he went to lean in and bite. It eventually stopped. Strangely enough, his main victim was a really bad scratcher! he used to go for faces every time, we used tracker obs to see if there were triggers, I am guessing maybe as your child is EAL there is a certain amount of frustration involved, again, we had to watch closely and luckily for us the behavior stopped and both went on to infants school non the worse. We did get phone calls from other parents complaining but often the case was that it was their child who started the tussles in the first place!

good luck x

• Like 1

I googled it and compiled an information sheet to give to mum about how to handle this type of behavior as she had previously told me she was going to bite him back! ( yikes)

I have a good friend who is a very child-centred practitioner and was surprised to learn that this is exactly how she stopped her child biting back in the day (said child is now in their 20s). She said she only did it once but it did the trick.

I wasn't sure how to react to that, really! :o

Like twinthinguk, I think I'd do a google search and look for some reassuring, sensible advice offered in parent-friendly language.

• Like 1

Guest Spiral

We had an issue with biting and scratching. I did a risk assessment to show that the concerns were being dealt with and actions for the future. Especially as we had one parent asking us "ow are you protecting my child from them"?

I have attached the big dfes 2013 one, however, I have made my own version by stolen bits and left bits out.

Good luck,

Spiral

risk assessment for beh and s needs DFES Nov 2013.pdf