Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Difficulty as new manager

Hi everyone,

I just felt like I needed to hear some other opinions and know that everyone here is very knowledgeable.

I just took on a position as manager in a brand new nursery. The nursery is run by 2 people, one of which has nursery experience and the other being the registered provider. I was offered the job a while back and accepted it. Then due to difficulties with the refurb everything got delayed by almost a month. I was lucky to be in a position of being able to keep working until the new nursery was ready.

I then had to work from "home" for a week. I was asked to complete a variety of tasks that were entirely unreasonable as I had not even been to the premises (such as getting insurance quotes). Every time I had to ask for feedback I was made to feel like I am not doing my job properly.

I then started coming into work. I put up with working on the floor without a chair or desk for about a week. I didn't complain as I just wanted to get the job done.

Then I was asked to write up a handbook, I spent hours at work as well as at home. When I showed it to them I got "yes yes" as an answer, no feedback whether good or bad. I assumed it was ok and continued to work on it. Now the owners have decided what they meant was a brochure "and theyll have to do it themselves now".

I am getting really frustrated as I am not really involved with what is going on, what's their plan and mission etc. and therefore I am struggling to put anything to paper.

Also I overheard one of the owners say to the other about me that "we only need her for the papers".

Rambling over. Sorry about that but it feels good just writing this down.

What do you think? I am still in my first 4 weeks, I haven't got a job description, I haven't received an instruction and I feel like I am not really sure what I am supposed to be doing at all. I will have a conversation on Monday but so far whenever I tried to broach the topic I don't really feel like they are listening, but on the other hand I don't want to give up....

Would you stay or would you go? I am worried about if things start like this what will it be like in future? I didn't take the job to be an admin with a fancy title, I really want to work with children and staff.

so confused...

Hi. Sorry to hear that its all so frustrating. I think I would be asking for a proper meeting with notes being made and agreed by everyone involved, on what is expected from you and your role within the setting. Also let them know how frustrated you are!

As it is a brand new nursery, are you actually open yet? If not maybe everyone is just uptight about getting everything in place. Hope things improve.

Joanne

Guest sn0wdr0p

Have a look at your job description and clarify what are their responsbilities and what are your responsibilities. Is it their first nursery?They may need as much clarification as you.

It is not open yet, but the most stressful part with getting the certificate is over...

Thanks for the advice so far, I am glad that it is not just me that things this is odd.

That's what is frustrating me, I don't have a job description. So I will ask for a job description tomorrow, but also it is their first nursery. They never measured how many children they can actually have in the building and now it is not enough to make money apparently, so they are trying to save money wherever possible. They want to put more children anyways and also not apply for DBS until people have started work etc. and I just don't agree with any of it. I truly believe that this is not safe and I don't want to take the responsibility for what happens... I need to go on safeguarding training for Designated Officers which is still not booked even though I sent all the forms.

It just feels like one of the owners can't let go of anything and has to control everything she calls it "my office" even though really it is "ours" it's little things like that, that make you feel not welcome. So I am at the point where I don't understand what their reasoning was to hire a manager in the first place.

Get out now, don't worry about their reaction or be afraid.

Sounds to me like you'll not end up being a manager at all in reality, just running around doing everything they don't want to plus childcare etc and then being blamed when something goes wrong(and it will)

You will not have a positive experience here and you do not want to be associated with unprofessional practise etc.Put it down to experience and move on as soon as you can.

Do you have a contract?

That's what I am thinking too, I don't have a contract and am in my first month so I wouldn't really be required to give any notice.

Fact is that I can't afford to be out of employment either, so I have sent some CVs out already.

It's so annoying as I was looking forward to a new challenge.. And I just started my montessori diploma as well.. Sad I made this choice now but it sounded good to start with.

Thanks for all the advice! I will send them an email about my concerns as has been offered by one of the owners and depending on whether there is any hope I shall speak to them tomorrow, if that doesn't work then my mind is made up... I may have the opportunity to work at my previous nursery for a few days until something else comes along... so that might make that decision easier!

Thanks again and I will let you know what happened.

Could you temp as well?

I also wonder if you should be reporting your worries of Ofsted at least once you have aired them and if you don't get a reasonable response that makes you feel better about what is going on?

I don't think it sounds like a place I would want to take me child at the moment.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your troubles, missdoofus :(

I have experienced similar let downs in the past few years and, as others have said, my advice is also to get out as quickly as you can to save your sanity and professional career! In fact, I could write a book about some of the dreadful people I have come across. In one case, going to the local authority or Ofsted were of no help at all either - doubly frustrating I am afraid.

Move on - you deserve, and will find, better for sure.

• Like 1

It's so sad because I really appreciate everyone who has the opportunity to set up their own setting.. but that's not the way to go about it in my opinion.

Sending a long email now and then I know what will happen :)

Guest sn0wdr0p

Reading your post about the lack of DBS checks is very worrying. How on earth could you supervise all staff until their DBS checks come through clear. It is a real safeguarding issue.I would start looking for employment elsewhere. If the nursery gets a bad reputation you will be tarred with the same brush.

Guest lillybeth

I can talk from experience you will find it impossible to work under these circumstances. I am going to leave my setting next month I have been a manager there since last July but the owner who is the registered person cannot let go. One minute she is running it the next I am expected to run it. If there is a problem it is always mine if there are good points it is down to her. We got an OUTSTANDING earlier in the year but I personally think she is cutting corners and I am really really anxious and I cant wait to leave. What I cannot understand is how did your setting get through the registration process with OFSTED.I am sad that it has not worked out for you but something will come along but run run run.

Thanks everyone for your support! I have officially resigned and hopefully have another interview coming up... let's hope it will all be sorted quickly.

I couldn't agree more with everyone being on the same agenda... it's so important.

Thanks everyone for your support! I have officially resigned and hopefully have another interview coming up... let's hope it will all be sorted quickly.

I couldn't agree more with everyone being on the same agenda... it's so important.

I really think you have made the right decision....

Onwards and Upwards! :1b

Guest sn0wdr0p

That must have been a difficult decision for you. Future employers should see that you kept your integrity and that you put the needs of the children first. Hope you find employment soon.

Thanks for the support. I am starting a new role on Monday as a manger and hopefully this will turn out a bit better! They had a bad experience with previous manager and me with the nursery, so I hope it's meant to be!