Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children running indoors

Help..... A few weeks ago I mentioned I was having problems with a few boys and disruptive behaviour. Well, this is still going on and we are really struggling.

One of the problems is they continuously run around despite putting out lots of toys and creating activities that are new and different to engage their interest, we constantly remind them to walk, have put strategies in place such as rewards and several other ideas etc, yet nothing makes any difference. I am really not enjoying work at all as they are being so disruptive, the other children are getting overlooked as they take all of our attention.

One boy is quite sturdy and in the past few days has caused several accidents causing bruising, a bloody nose and a couple of sizeable bumps to other children's heads when not looking where he is going and banging into them. I have talked to parents and they just say, yes he doesn't listen at home and does the same thing!!!!

One child has been the recipient of 3 injuries within a week and Mum is getting quite upset. (Rightly so)

Any ideas what we can do? I have changed the furniture around to make it less appealing to run but it still happens.

We don't have free flow to outdoors, but luckily have a big hall- we have now sectioned off a 'running area' . Time of year+ boy heavy this year so have had to be a bit proactive with them :)

It's working ok for us at them moment. Sometimes they just run from side to side for about 15 mins not stop!, other times they arrange their own football games. We do monitor it closely though and after a 'wild' session we encourage a period of more focused activity.

Our are the same at the moment and not just boys (this half term has been awful). We have an adjoining hallway and they think its great fun to run the full length of it all the time!

This resulted in one of our little ones falling and cutting his head open on the skirting board a few weeks ago. But the next day he came back running again!!

We don't have freeflow but when we take them outside they don't want to run as much as we try- they complain they are too tired!

Will be watching with interest.

We do have free flow, although outside they tend to change their play. For example, if we have any bikes out, they just crash head on into each other as they think this is funny. Most of the other children however do not and of course then there are the injuries from bikes tipping over and children falling head first onto concrete.

In terms of what we do when they don't listen:

We have tried a few things which haven't worked so I I have just implemented that each day all children start off with their photo on a sunny picture (I initially tried it with the few causing issues but the others rightly said they had been good and wanted praise, so I have added all to be inclusive.)

If they don't listen, they are given one warning. After that they sit on the nearest chair to 'think' (for a short while) about their behaviour and we remind them they are on the chair because they didn't listen. Their photo is then moved onto a 'thinking chair photo'. If no other issues arise during the session - their photo is moved back to the sunny picture.

At the end of the session I have a chart and all children with their photo on the sunny picture put a sticker next to their name. When they have 5 stickers I reward them. I have a feely bag with really inexpensive items in it such as bubbles, stickers, a packet of haribos etc. etc. for them to pick something from. I know this is bribary, but we are running out of ideas, and our children really like getting stickers, so hopefully it will be an incentive. We haven't got this far yet, as it has only been going 2 days, so I am not sure how it will work. I'll let you know!

• Like 1

i am constantly reminding some of the boys to use their walking feet indoors! it is so bad that now that if they run across the room I make them come back and walk to where they are going....this works well when they run to wash hands for snack or lunch as they soon work out they miss out sitting where they want because they have had to go back and walk!! there is one repeat offender that will sometimes take 2 or 3 goes to actually walk and not run! good luck with all your efforts to keep them walking x

This year we have also had a very challenging group.If I am truly honest the weather asn't helped this year but at last its improving.I have had a long sectioned balance beam set up in doors all winter and i direct them to that area if necessary.We have very active circle times as well. We use the balance beam to sit on for circle times so we have taken away most of the chairs to gain more space. I have zig zag'd when setting up the room so no clear space to run, this deters them.When children are in doors if they constantly run I just say "lots of energy today come and help me tidy the room up".They very soon learn.

Edited by bubblejack

Help..... A few weeks ago I mentioned I was having problems with a few boys and disruptive behaviour. Well, this is still going on and we are really struggling.

One of the problems is they continuously run around despite putting out lots of toys and creating activities that are new and different to engage their interest, we constantly remind them to walk, have put strategies in place such as rewards and several other ideas etc, yet nothing makes any difference. I am really not enjoying work at all as they are being so disruptive, the other children are getting overlooked as they take all of our attention.

One boy is quite sturdy and in the past few days has caused several accidents causing bruising, a bloody nose and a couple of sizeable bumps to other children's heads when not looking where he is going and banging into them. I have talked to parents and they just say, yes he doesn't listen at home and does the same thing!!!!

One child has been the recipient of 3 injuries within a week and Mum is getting quite upset. (Rightly so)

Any ideas what we can do? I have changed the furniture around to make it less appealing to run but it still happens.

When they're running around, is there any form of play involved in it? We have a similar issue with running but usually the running involves a form of imaginative play, like being chased by monsters etc. If so, then try and set things out on your tables that link into that interest. It's okay setting new and exciting stuff out on your tables, but if it's not relevant to THEIR interests, you won't engage them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)