Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stressed - need to find a new venue

Well we had a meeting today and it went ok but not as well as we expected it to go!

They haven't told us they want us out but did suggest if they could no longer accommodate us then maybe we should look for new premises.

The just of it is the church owns a large house opposite the church that has various meeting rooms. They are loosing that from April but I don't think it's being sold as there advertising the garden there as a community walled garden for all to use, this to me suggests they aren't selling it! But they didn't say what was happening.

They just said that all users of both buildings needed to be accommodated in the church and rooms within the church (there's not many) and I suspect the flat above us has recently been renovated into meeting rooms I think. They have various groups such as a toddlers group which they now need to accommodate within the rooms we use too.

They are loosing substantial hall space to make way for a toilet block to enable it to be rented out separately, at present they have to hire 3 rooms out together due to toilet location.

Were loosing all displays to make way for cupboards but were loosing 2/3rds of our storage and it's a physical impossibility to meet the needs of the EYFS with the storage space we have been allocated. I asked today for dates of work being carried out to be told it's a matter of weeks! That is no help to us as we have no where to store the equipment and will struggle to provide even one room to meet the EYFS requirements within that storage space, never mind two.

As a city centre location, spaces are limited and there isn't any community buildings. The other local preschool have lost there venue too as there vicar wants to offer more lunch clubs. That leaves a whole community with no preschool facilities and no where to go :(

No preschools?? Right, get your EY team involved............get the press involved too. You need exact dates from the hall committee, 'a matter of weeks' is no good to you, you need to know exactly what is going on. But an appeal in the press for new premises might help. Good luck....................

• Like 3

Yes the other local preschool have battled for months to try and co-operate with the church they hire to come to an agreement and nothing they can do. They have until August then they want them out!

Ours is just trying to get this to look like our decision not there's but is obvious that they don't want us there.

They can't find any rental agreements either so that to me is not looking good on our behalf. We have a funding grant in 2009/10 and I can't find any paperwork to say what the clause was for the funding :( On nightmare after another it appears but we won't take this lying down.

Think I will ask in writing what date they want me to have emptied the cupboards by or if they can provide dates once they have them.

Oh SazzJ I'm so sorry - what a complete nightmare for you.......

Agree with narnia - please do contact your EY team - they have a responsibility to provide children with pre-school places.......

Sending you a hug sounds like you need it x

Okay, if you received a grant with the local authority they will have a copy of any rental agreement within your application.

As Narnia suggests contact your EY department and get them on board. If your part of PSLA them too.

Put out a plea to your local area businesses, community halls, as there just might be something you haven't thought of.

The church need to be more specific in their time scales, not very caring in my opinion.:( please keep us informed how your getting along hugs Fx

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Oh gosh I really don't want to sound like Elizabeth Truss but have you looked at your local primary school. Does it have any spare classrooms? Could you go into partnership with them? Going to put my bulletproof jacket on now.

If you think you might be able to stay and storage is the only problem, do you have any outdoor space? If so you could rent a container, the type they use on building sites. I used one for years because I didn't have enough storage space. They are usually quite secure as they are metal and the where you would padlock the door, there is usually a cover that makes it very difficult to get at the padlock. Mine was never broken into in 10 years. I was paying about £35.00 per month to hire it and we painted it to look like a jungle scene so it blended in well. As you can hire it for just a short while, it might be just what you need in the interim, if you are being evicted :(

Just stumbled across something that could explain an awful lot!

It appears planning permission has been applied for for change of use to the building the church owns opposite the church. The application is for conversion from offices to lease to a private nursery :(

It appears planning permission has been applied for for change of use to the building the church owns opposite the church. The application is for conversion from offices to lease to a private nursery :(

Mmmm you did think there was a 'hidden agenda' .... Not very kind of them :(

No! :o Now this is where I will defend my LA - they wouldn't allow this to happen :blink:

How awful for you - here comes another virtual hug x

From what you say Sazz this sound like a bit of a stitch up job - nothing really useful to offer you other than a virtual hug - although !!!!!

If you have outdoor space and the proposed other site doesn't maybe you could object to the planning application - you may have clients at your setting who armed with the info that you have might also put in objections along similar lines - anything is worth a try as it seems that the "dirty fight" has been underway for a while without you knowing.

xx

Sazz, it seems to me that you need to urgently do the following:

1. Ask the Church for a copy of your rental agreement (also ask the LEA to search your capital and access grant documentation as there should be some reference in there). Read it carefully and seek legal advice if necessary. Do you have a set point for notice or changes of agreement?

2. Speak to the LA about their childcare sufficiency. Can they meet their obligation for 2 and 3 year old places without you?

3. Try to start a realistic dialogue with your landlord. Is the landlord the pcc?

4. Get parents involved, the more the better

5. As a last resort work out what you would do if you have to close. Can you cover staff redundancies?

Please feel free to pm me if you like as have had ( and lost) a similar battle...

• Like 1

Sazz, it seems to me that you need to urgently do the following:

1. Ask the Church for a copy of your rental agreement (also ask the LEA to search your capital and access grant documentation as there should be some reference in there). Read it carefully and seek legal advice if necessary. Do you have a set point for notice or changes of agreement?

It appears that they can not locate any rental agreement in relation to the preschool. I do have letters with regards to rent but that is all :(

2. Speak to the LA about their childcare sufficiency. Can they meet their obligation for 2 and 3 year old places without you?

Lady I need to speak too returns to work on Monday and already dropped her an email

3. Try to start a realistic dialogue with your landlord. Is the landlord the pcc?

PCC? Our landlord is the church I am assuming! That's as much as I know

4. Get parents involved, the more the better

Parents know ins and outs and have seen all correspondents and are horrified at the strong wording of the letter! There all on a mission to find alternative premises :D Love my parents

5. As a last resort work out what you would do if you have to close. Can you cover staff redundancies?

Ample to cover staff redundancies as this was a concern a few years back so we were offered a grant from sufficiency team to enable us to continue to operate and cover those costs if needed

Please feel free to pm me if you like as have had ( and lost) a similar battle...

Thanks, sorry you lost :( I am not giving up without a very good fight

Haha yes please lol.

We are very lucky we have the fantastic support of my parents who are all local so have something to fight for as it's their child loosing out!

I do hope to see light at the end of the tunnel and have a few B plans for temp set up if need be! We'll get there!

Just so frustrating that we will not get the ofsted inspection we truly deserve but have a list of what the church have asked us to do and solutions, an action plan to take those ideas forward. Photos, photos and more photos of what we have up at present (before it all comes down) and another SEF to complete over Easter