Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy - Recognises rhythm in spoken words 30-50m

thumperrabbit

Children sit in a circle and in turn clap the syllables in their name e.g. 'Lu-cy', 'Sam', 'Em-i-ly', 'O-li-vi-a'. When the children have clapped the syllables in their own name we all have a turn then move on to the next child if they are confident to take a turn. We also talk about how many syllables. Later we go on to objects around the room e.g. 'book', 'ta-ble', 'com-pu-ter'. You can also clap or tap out the rhythm, using claves, of rhymes and songs.

Edited by Guest

I'd read a lot of stories with rhythm.

That's my take on it too - can often 'tap out' the rhythm at the same time........something like one hand 'beating' on leg as I read 'There's a Rumble in the Jungle'......that's just an example - we love our rhyming stories! :1b

• Like 1

Oops, yes - 30-50m of course! Yes, I agree with sunnyday and catma - that said, my younger children have great fun tapping out the rhythm in words too!

Just to add we do lots of 'Beat-baby' activities + using shakers with books such as 'Tanka-Tanka Skunk' :1b

What is Beat-baby?

It's not just rhyming - many texts have a rhythm, we're going on a bear hunt or rosies walk for example. If you didn't read them with the rhythm of the text they would just sound wrong! But even making up patterns of words would be rhythmical - I remember seeing a child walking down the road saying "hop hop jump" over and over in time to his movements. There was rhythm in his spoken words.

It is about reading skills, developing awareness of patterns in language that they will need to read fluently later, and sits with the other skills described in the same band:

• Enjoys rhyming and rhythmic activities.
  • Shows awareness of rhyme and alliteration.
  • Recognises rhythm in spoken words.
  • Listens to and joins in with stories and poems, one-to-one and also in small groups.
  • Joins in with repeated refrains and anticipates key events and phrases in rhymes and stories.

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 2

It was the rhythmic aspect of the verses I had in mind. We say our rhyming verses in a rhythmic way and do actions in time with the words. They are adult led and the children join in, so tricky for assessment purposes. But you gave me some good ideas for that. Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)